Getting rid of the deadwood

Just checked, past 6 years we haven't roughly £500k less. What we are lagging behind is getting money back even though we sold Hutton and Cuellar but that could change if we sell Jelavic...

Just substantiates my point that there is not a lot between Rangers and Celtic money wise and certainly nothing for us to claim we have been the poorer team over the last few years.

Too late :)

It's never too late... :smokin:

Anyway, time to get back on Tumshie's topic regarding "Getting rid of the deadwood".

As ever it's all about opinions. Despite his age, I still think Healy could bang in a good few goals for us with a decent striker partnering him up front, but he needs a run of starts to show it. He's got it in him to do the business if given enough of a chance in my humble opinion.

Next thing I want to say after reading through all the comments so far, is that I think it's WAY too early to judge Ortiz, Bedoya or McKay, but just like Healy, they really need to be given a good run of games or at least a good number of sub appearances before we can genuinely say whether they're any good or not. These guys are struggling to get a proper chance because the manager seems determined to stick with the high-earning favourites for most games.

Personally, I'd like to see Ally letting go of some of the higher earners from Walter's old squad to free up wages and allow others to get a real chance. Whether you'd class them as "deadwood" or not, the U40 players I'd like to see punted are Jig, Broadfoot and Edu in that order.

You change the totals of polls because you ccan and it's a bit of fun. Still trying to get used to things so saw no harm in it. Sorry if out of order :S

Not out of order bud, just some harmless fun. I found it amusing :D

Craig and I changing those polls (and switching them back quickly!) for a wee laugh isn't the norm here at all. It's the first I've seen it done in all the time I've been a member of the forum... Please don't think of us as serial poll-tamperers! :D

:shock: Thought you said tampon, lol

Too late :)

I was just trying a similar thing although it seems to have gone down as badly as your attempts.

A lot of learning to do maybe and who not to do it too .

Not at all SC7 - I took it in the light-hearted nature in which it was intended.

You wont offend me as easily as you would a Tim :thup:

Just substantiates my point that there is not a lot between Rangers and Celtic money wise and certainly nothing for us to claim we have been the poorer team over the last few years.

By which token, I presume, no reason to expect that we should win the league ? Given we have won it the last 3 years the law of averages say it is Celtic's year, no ?

I hope we dont see the law of averages work this year.....

I wonder just what this 500k represents though. Is it on a net basis or on a "purchases only" basis ? If they sold a player for 10 million and replaced him with 2 players at 5 mill that is the same as us spending nothing on nobody.

Not trying to cast doubt but to get a true reflection of what this 500k is you kind of need to know how you get to the number.

By which token, I presume, no reason to expect that we should win the league ? Given we have won it the last 3 years the law of averages say it is Celtic's year, no ?

I hope we dont see the law of averages work this year.....

Craig, If we play to the best of our ability and lose the league I will be the first to congratulate the team and the manager for doing their best. If we lose the league by playing 8 defenders against the bottom team or because the manager puts out a team hoping to win a game rather than picking a team who are going out to try and win a game then I will be very upset. Celtic will win the league sometimes, but why have we gone from attacking teams on the front foot and scorching to a 15 point lead to super defensive play and losing points. Naismith is an easy excuse but the manager has changed our whole system to super defensive and that is costing us points.

Craig, If we play to the best of our ability and lose the league I will be the first to congratulate the team and the manager for doing their best. If we lose the league by playing 8 defenders against the bottom team or because the manager puts out a team hoping to win a game rather than picking a team who are going out to try and win a game then I will be very upset. Celtic will win the league sometimes, but why have we gone from attacking teams on the front foot and scorching to a 15 point lead to super defensive play and losing points. Naismith is an easy excuse but the manager has changed our whole system to super defensive and that is costing us points.

I understand what you are saying pete... but the game where that happened we actually WON, right ? So playing those 8 defenders, as yet, wont cost us the league because we got all 3 points.

My fear is that we are headed inthe same direction as we were in 2008 when we were digging results out by playing poorly. Yes, we had extenuating circumstances with the UEFA run, but a blind man could have seen that we were badly struggling to create chances back then and that we would eventually come a cropper. I see a few similarities with that period to now.

And that is worrying.

I understand what you are saying pete... but the game where that happened we actually WON, right ? So playing those 8 defenders, as yet, wont cost us the league because we got all 3 points.

My fear is that we are headed inthe same direction as we were in 2008 when we were digging results out by playing poorly. Yes, we had extenuating circumstances with the UEFA run, but a blind man could have seen that we were badly struggling to create chances back then and that we would eventually come a cropper. I see a few similarities with that period to now.

And that is worrying.

Craig that is exactly what I have been trying to say. How long is our luck going to hold out with the stupid decisions that are being made. It is clear to everyone except the people who matter that our shortcomings are flair and imagination in midfield. Why does Ally think that Papac or playing 8 defenders can supply that. As you say I find it very worrying