Disagreement in Tunnel at Half Time

Guest Bluetooth

Guest Bluetooth

Just been told that Ferguson had a real go at Steven Smith going up the tunnel at half time yesterday.

BF was shouting and swearing at him for not getting forward enough and putting pressure on the Motherwell right back.

Smith was trying to tell him Le Guen had told him to sit back and not to get forward as much.

Clearly all is not well in that dressing room. :sigh:

It also shows the captain and the manager have different views on tactics unfortunately.

The vast majority of the fans have got differing views on tactics and team selection from the manager also. I know I certainly have anyway

Guest Bluetooth

Agreed, but I heard this story from a Motherwell player, many of whom were in earshot of the ranting from Ferguson.

It gave them a bit of a lift to hear Rangers players arguing amongst each other in front of them.

Nothing wrong with this at all. Unless Ferguson was personally slating Smith, this kind of thing is perfectly normal.

The most successful captain in British footballs more recent history would have to be Keane at United, and this kind of thing happened more often than not with him. Basically, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Guest Bluetooth

"Nothing wrong with this at all. Unless Ferguson was personally slating Smith"

There's plenty wrong with it if the captain is telling him to do one thing and the manager is telling him to do something else.

I wasn't talking about the difference of opinion between manager and captain. THAT is a problem.

I was focusing on the "argument" between Smith and Ferguson. As long as it's only football related, there's nothing wrong with one or two players having a fairly heated discussion about what's going on on the park.

If this is true, i find it a bit off putting. Ferguson could knock Smiths confidence by giving him a rollocking in the tunnel, this should have been done in the dressing room. Or even better he should have put his arm round his shoulder and had a quiet word to build the lads confidence.