Matt McKay Exclusive for Gersnet...well sort of!

Guest enigmablue

Guest enigmablue

Don't post often here (or the other boards) but did a wee Q&A by email with Matt for our ORSA Newsletter and got his reply today. It's posted to the ORSA site but someone can cut and paste after my post and I'm sure it'll end up doing the rounds anyway.

http://www.oceaniarsa.com/news/34-general-news/121-matt-mckay-ready.html

Plenty of threads on various forums about our midfield and this player in particular so I'm sure it'll be of some interest.

My take is that he seems to be settling in and finding his feet. It sounds to me like he understands the dynamics of a big club and he's prepared to knuckle down, work hard and earn his spot. I think everyone who's watched him on and off the park here in Brisbane/Oz knows that he'll take his chance when it comes and won't let anyone down. He seems upbeat and positive (things you'll not find on many messageboards at present).

Off to feed the bub/my kip. Will check in for your thoughts tomorrow.

Cheers

ORSA Sec

Here is the full Q & A :

Many thanks to Andrew Dickson at Rangers TV for his assistance with arranging this Q&A that I did by email with Matt. It'll be a feature in the January edition of the ORSA newsletter however with all the tittle tattle floating about on the various Gers-related message-boards I thought people might like a sneak peak.

Apologies if you think the questions are a bit tame but it's supposed to be a light-hearted piece. It came around a little quicker than I expected and I did little prep however Matt's also lined-up for a follow up Q&A for the April edition when the title race will be hotting up. Leave us a comment if you want a question asked and I'll do my best to include it next time.

I'm sure a few of you will read more into his answers than there is (especially the training answer) but he seems to be settling in and finding his feet. It sounds to me like he understands the dynamics of a big club and he's prepared to knuckle down, work hard and earn his spot. I think everyone who's watched him on and off the park here in Brisbane/Oz knows that he'll take his chance when it comes and won't let anyone down.

I love that Matt replied in blue and if you carefully scan the last answer you'll see that some of the psyche of our great club is rubbing off on him. Whilst the question was on a different topic the answer has more than a touch of red, white and blue about it. Ready? Aye Ready.

The Pleasantries

So how’s life in Scotland? Have you settled in? All settled. Really comfortable in Glasgow, have found my fave places to eat and shop and I live near the training ground so it’s easy to get around.

How’s your Glaswegian coming along? I understand most people, a few boys in the team I struggle with but I'm not too bad.

Anything you’re missing from Oz? Missing my dogs.

You’ve got a birthday coming up – If you had one birthday wish what would it be? To be playing.

The Footy

What’s the training like? Is it much different from the Roar? Very different to the Roar. Roar was very tactical and structured while here it is just games.

Made any buddies off the park? Who are your mates? I get along well with the whole squad. They are a great bunch.

How are you feeling about your start at Rangers so far? I’ve enjoyed it so far, just want to be helping the team on the park when I get a chance.

Does it feel any better to know that the internet managers (Follow Follow, Gersnet, Rangers Media etc) would have you in the starting XI? I appreciate the support of the fans, they have been great and the boys really need all their support to push us towards the title.

Coisty nicknamed himself the Judge when Souness benched him in favour of the Hateley and Johnston partnership? Have you had that chat with the gaffer yet? No one likes it when they're not playing but I’m sure Coisty has his reasons and the team is the most important thing. I want Rangers to be winning.

Kenny McDowall – We’ve got his brothers at Brisbane RSC and even they don’t know what he does with that clipboard? Care to comment? Not sure about the clipboard to be honest. It seems to get quite a bit of action during and before games. I will try and steal it off him one day and send it down under.

Got a favourite thing about being at the Gers? Mainly the best thing is that football is number 1 here. I can watch games at a decent hour and live and breathe football.

The other footy

Roar’s record-breakingwinning streak? You played a big part in it (including that amazing grand final comeback). How proud are you of those achievements? 2011 was an incredible year for the Roar and they deserve all the credit for playing so consistently. I am proud of what was achieved but it is in the past now and they have to set new goals.

Roar’s losing streak? Was it inevitable? Will Ange sort it out? It is a bit of a shock but know they will regather their form. One thing about having a small squad is that its important to keep everyone fit and that was part of the reason for their success last season. Once Ange has a full squad at his disposal the performance and results will come in both A-League and ACL.

Who do you think will reach this year’s grand final? Can the Roar do back-to back wins? Roar Vs Central Coast.

Any advice for other A-League players who may be tempted to follow (follow) in your footsteps and try their luck in SPL/European Leagues? I think it is important to be ready. Also to do research into the league and club you are going. I would encourage players to take the opportunities presented and enjoy the ride.

What’s the training like? Is it much different from the Roar? Very different to the Roar. Roar was very tactical and structured while here it is just games.

Seems my thoughts were not that far from the truth. I hate to say it but it does show in the play, there is totally no sense of tactical movement by anyone. I will say though that there are plenty games where fitness is acquired while making training enjoyable and not a slog.

I'm not sure we should be looking at Aussie football as a role model for our own.

With no disrespect to them, Aussie football is guff. Just because they train differently to us doesn't suddenly make them a lot better!

I'm not sure we should be looking at Aussie football as a role model for our own.

With no disrespect to them, Aussie football is guff. Just because they train differently to us doesn't suddenly make them a lot better!

Did anyone say they are a lot better? It is our training that has been under debate and here is a Rangers player saying it is made up of games. This does not have to be a bad thing as long as the games have the desired effect and are used for bettering match play. This does not seem so to me at the minute.

Australian footballers are usually fitter and more technically gifted than your average Scottish player. While people will deride their qualification opponents, Australia still ranks 25odd places above Scotland in the world rankings for a reason. To train a bit of tactical awareness and technical ability aside from turning up against essentially the same people each and every day should bear some fruits.