Matt McKay???

There has to be a reason that the likes of McKay isn't getting a game whereas the likes of Aluko goes straight into the team.

IMHO....Aluko walked into the team coz there wasn't adequate cover in the right wing position - hence why he was signed. He has been given the chance and has grasped it with both hands & done very well.

With the likes of McKay & Bedoya, there is competition for their preferred position in midfield - Davis/Edu/McCulloch being the preferred options. If those guys were playing well, I don't think folk wo9uld be overly bothers about others not getting a game. However, in general they ahve been playing poorly, yet they remain the automatic choices. Then injury or suspensions come in - an ideal opportunity for those fringe guys to get a chance - and the manager opts to either play a centre back (Bartley) or a left back (Papac) instead of a guy who favoured position is midfield - makes no sense to me.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but to assert the implication that you are "more professional" than the management team when you couldn't get a boot polishing job at Gayfield Park, never mind Ibrox, is egotistical in the extreme.

No-one is trying to imply that they are "more professional" than the folk in charge.....we are simply asking questions & discussing possibilities. Given the current financial status of the club, it does seem strange that we are spending what little money we have on players then not giving them a chance to play.

As for playing them in friendlies....I believe McKay has played in a few, and from what I have heard, he's done well - even getting on the score sheet against Killie in mid-week.

There may well be valid reasons for certain players not getting a game, but right now know one knows what they are!!!

Davis is our captain and considered one of our best players and so is very hard to drop - although wasn't there complaints on here that he wasn't getting a run in his preferred position and that he would automatically play brilliantly there?

In the modern game a team also needs a defensive, central midfielder which is why Edu or McCulloch get a game. Bedoya and McKay don't seem able to adapt to that job - whereas Bartley does. However, both of them are supposed to be capable of playing on the wing - so why did Aluko beat them to that slot - as well as Papac and Wallace?

I can't imagine both of them being bought for only being able to play Davis' position. Players have to be versatile these days. However, squads sizes are there for coping with injuries and suspensions and that's when fringe players get their chance.

People are always going on about "competition for places" well it seems to me that's happening with Bedoya and McKay not competing well enough.

No-one outside Ibrox knows the full reasoning but then that's how it should be...

Davis is our captain and considered one of our best players and so is very hard to drop - although wasn't there complaints on here that he wasn't getting a run in his preferred position and that he would automatically play brilliantly there?

In the modern game a team also needs a defensive, central midfielder which is why Edu or McCulloch get a game. Bedoya and McKay don't seem able to adapt to that job - whereas Bartley does. However, both of them are supposed to be capable of playing on the wing - so why did Aluko beat them to that slot - as well as Papac and Wallace?

I can't imagine both of them being bought for only being able to play Davis' position. Players have to be versatile these days. However, squads sizes are there for coping with injuries and suspensions and that's when fringe players get their chance.

People are always going on about "competition for places" well it seems to me that's happening with Bedoya and McKay not competing well enough.

No-one outside Ibrox knows the full reasoning but then that's how it should be...

You do make a number of valid points above.....

Davis IS one of the best players in the team, but he's not been recently. Just because he's had the captains arm band (in the absence of Davie Weir), that doesn't mean he should be immune from being dropped. Competition for places only works if the manager is willing to drop those who aren't performing - this doesn't appear to be happening.

As for needing a defensive midfielder.....I would go along with this in certain games - where the opposition are possibly stronger than you. However, this SHOULDN'T hold true for the majority of SPL or cup games. Rangers & Celtic are the 2 best teams in the country without doubt, we shouldn't NEED to play a defensive midfielder - we should be on the attack.....the overly defensive nature of our play has been all too evident this season.

You mean the player is being unprofessional by not showing enough in training? :confused:

No, I was meaning the club are being unprofessional by going to all the trouble to sign these players and not playing them. There could be some underhand smoke and mirrors going on here as we can't get the 'big' buys so they bring in small fry to placate the support, but I can't see that being to anyone's benefit. If indeed that is what's going on.

I still say he should get more game time though, regardless of all the speculation of his training. I thought he scored a goal in a bounce game recently, so is he really that bad, and if so, what did we sign him for?

No, I was meaning the club are being unprofessional by going to all the trouble to sign these players and not playing them. There could be some underhand smoke and mirrors going on here as we can't get the 'big' buys so they bring in small fry to placate the support, but I can't see that being to anyone's benefit. If indeed that is what's going on.

I still say he should get more game time though, regardless of all the speculation of his training. I thought he scored a goal in a bounce game recently, so is he really that bad, and if so, what did we sign him for?

I was being facetious. I knwo what you meant. It's just frustrating (galling) that the assumption is that the lack of professionalism is always on the side of the manager and coaching staff and never the fault of the purportedly slighted player. No one considers that perhaps McKay is to blame here.

No one considers that perhaps McKay is to blame here.

we don't know...that's why we're discussing.

It could simply be that when Coisty signed Bedoya & McKay he had an idea how he wanted the side to play....that plan me have changed, and therefore is player requirement???

we don't know...that's why we're discussing.

It could simply be that when Coisty signed Bedoya & McKay he had an idea how he wanted the side to play....that plan me have changed, and therefore is player requirement???

There's more accusations that the management team are "at fault" than a discussion of what is going on. I mean calling the club unprofessional for not playing a specific player is a bit daft. Thats not discussion, thats taking a side and accusing the club of something you couldn't possibly know about. Its a daft conspiracy theory really.

I mean calling the club unprofessional for not playing a specific player is a bit daft.

I've certainly never called the club on management unprofessional!!!! Simply asking why people think he (and others) are not getting a game or even on the bench....

Maybe it's just me but I get the impression (quite often rather than just right now) that some seem to cast aspersions on the club's professionalism for the heinous crime of not playing player X.

I seem to recall that the club can only put a maximum of 11 players on the pitch plus 3 substitutes. Perhaps it is unprofessional to sign more than 14 players? BUT it is obvious that more players are needed for cover for the entire season due to injuries, suspensions, form and tactics. However, there is no compulsion to play all of the players and I can't see why or even how they should all get a regular game.

The professionalism for a club is reflected by the results and although we're now in second place it's only a couple of points and our total points haul is probably above average. There is no evidence that we would have gained more points by playing different players.

The manager chooses the team and is judged on his results. He will take a lot of stuff into account from the vastly superior knowledge he has of his squad compared to a fan (and vastly superior knowledge of football in general). Not only that, we all make pressurised decisions that will take a lot of stuff into account including intuition.

Fair enough to try and speculate as to what those factors are, but to harshly judge someone on their decisions when the outcome is far from favourable, to me is a bit bitter tasting.

And there is no doubt that groundless, negative judging is being done. To me, I put it down to the modern day obsession with every man and his dog being a constant critic.

Edited by calscot

Maybe it's just me but I get the impression (quite often rather than just right now) that some seem to cast aspersions on the club's professionalism for the heinous crime of not playing player X.

but to harshly judge someone on their decisions when the outcome is far from favourable, to me is a bit bitter tasting.

As stated before, no-one (from what I can see) is questioning the clubs professionalism, or harshly judging anyone.....

I simply started this thread to ask the question as to my Matt McKay isn't making the team sheet. The reason for the question is that he is a recent signing ie. the club paid money for his services, they are also paying a decent wage, the guy has traveled 1/2 way round the world to play yet he isn't even getting on the bench.

In the current financial climate, it is unwise to spend that kind of cash on a player, then doing nothing with him. It may be a case of him not performing in training, he may of had a bust up with management, he may just not fit into McCoist's master plan.....we don't know, that's why we're discussing it!!! The only person who knows why he isn't getting a look in is McCoist.

It's kinda like going out & buying a new car, then it sitting in the drive for 6months without turning a wheel. Your neighbours will wonder why your not using it, some may even ask, but only you know why.

The situation with McKay/Bedoya & others is even more confusing when - in the fans eyes - certain regulars of the team are performing below par. You have stated that extra players are needed for cover - exactly....but that cover doesn't appear to be used, instead other "regular" players are played out of position in order to cover the gap. The whole point of having a squad is so that they can be used.

There's no negative judging, calls of unprofessionalism or anything else intended....just a simple question - Why???