Matt McKay???

He should be getting more game time, especially against teams like Arbroath and when we're a couple of goals up. I find it frustrating to go to all the trouble of signing these guys and then say that they can't show anything training. It's a very unprofessional manner of going about your business.

He should be getting more game time, especially against teams like Arbroath and when we're a couple of goals up. I find it frustrating to go to all the trouble of signing these guys and then say that they can't show anything training. It's a very unprofessional manner of going about your business.

You mean the player is being unprofessional by not showing enough in training? :confused:

You mean the player is being unprofessional by not showing enough in training? :confused:

I don't buy the "not showing enough in training" argument at all to be quite frank because the players apparently don't actually train for very long each day. You just need to think about it a little; if Ally actually watches them all playing football in training for say 5 hours a week, then he'd maybe only have his eye on McKay for 12 mins in the entire week. Say he watched them all playing football in training for 10 hours a week (and that's a STRETCH), then he'd only have his eye on McKay for under half an hour. Is that any way to judge a player?

I think most of us have always agreed that a player needs a good run of regular games in the league before they can properly be judged, but if a player doesn't get a chance, then none of us really know what he can offer and I'd imagine Ally will be the same. He needs to give guys a chance in real matches to see what they can actually offer, but at the end of the day his job's on the line if he keeps experimenting and the team keep dropping points.

but at the end of the day his job's on the line if he keeps experimenting and the team keep dropping points.

The crux of the issue and far more important than whether an individual is getting a fair go.

Also appears there's no point to training as you cant distinguish between anyone's form, attitude, ability etc. May as well pick the team with a tombola.

The crux of the issue and far more important than whether an individual is getting a fair go.

Also appears there's no point to training as you cant distinguish between anyone's form, attitude, ability etc. May as well pick the team with a tombola.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :D

.....at the end of the day his job's on the line if he keeps experimenting and the team keep dropping points.

That is very true, and I also agree with pretty much the rest of your post as well!!!

However, The whole point in building a squad is so that you have a pool of players, that you are confident of being up to the standard required to win games whenever they are called upon. I believe Rangers actually have a fairly large squad of players to choose from, however there is only a limited number that ever get picked.

McKay & Bedoya for example are both regular international players, playing for decent countries - they should both be more than capable of playing in the SPL - more so in the early rounds of the Scottish cup!!!

I found the selection of Kerkar @ Arbroath a strange one.....He's been with the club a number of years, had VERY little game time, and only just scored his 1st professional goal - yet he firstly gets selected for the match squad ahead of McKay, and then gets time on the park, while Bedoya sits on his backside again!!!

I get the impression that McCoist is still working from The Walter Smith book of tactics & team selection, trying to stick with the players that did so well for WS as much as possible. I think he needs to really take a chance and stamp his own mark on the team - HIS players, and HIS tactics!!!

There's one. IS he better than what we have out on the pitch? And poor as the first choice appear to be the manager's view must be no.

Which doesn't really say a lot. Ally's team selection at times is baffling. Papac in midfield to name one!

Ally's team selection at times is baffling. Papac in midfield to name one!

That is partly what I was trying to get at above.....There's a space needing filled in midfield - Lets use someone who primarily a left back (but is a regular started) to fill it, even though there is a number of actual midfielders to choose from!!!

Another thread of why isn't such and such getting a run in the team... Sometimes I wonder if people realise that you only get to put 11 players on the pitch and that every result counts - particularly so at Rangers. There is very little room for experimentation and when we have that luxury in friendlies, the fans call it meaningless.

If you pick any player, it means another doesn't play and I've already seen threads complaining one player wasn't getting a game and then when that player gets a run someone complains the guy he replaced isn't getting a game...

It's not easy being a manager and I'm sure all the armchair experts on here could be managing a big club if they could be bothered but there is a lot more to it than the computer version. The manager sees all the players on a daily basis and his job is on the line every time he pens the teamsheet. Fans of every team complain about the team picks so EVERY manager has "baffling choices", yet they get paid millions a year - so why aren't those fans showing their nous by working their way up the ranks?

There has to be a reason that the likes of McKay isn't getting a game whereas the likes of Aluko goes straight into the team. McKay has had a couple of chances and the fans weren't impressed, Aluko had a chance and completely grasped the nettle putting in the kind of performances that earns him a regular start.

McKay must either be not fit enough, not showing enough in training, not show the right attitude or not fitting in well. It's easy to say we've wasted money on players but just because you look at a player and think he's good enough to sign, doesn't mean he will play well for you. Players are human and very esoteric in that sense.

There are loads of players that have not been given much game time and then punted. They rarely make a big name for themselves elsewhere. Ironically we did have a player who was getting picked much to the chagrin of the fans. That led to him losing his confidence and had to be sold as the fans were on his back. He's now a £9M player playing for Liverpool. Compare and contrast with the fans favourite sob story, Alan Gow...

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, but to assert the implication that you are "more professional" than the management team when you couldn't get a boot polishing job at Gayfield Park, never mind Ibrox, is egotistical in the extreme.