Rangers star and UDA boss

SMILING Rangers star David Healy gives the thumbs-up as he poses for a snap with a former Loyalist terror boss.

Striker Healy, 32, grinned and even threw his arm around the shoulder of ex-UDA brigadier Jackie McDonald during a trip to Belfast.

And the photo sparked outrage last night, given McDonald's sinister past â?? which saw him jailed for ten years in 1990 for threats to kill, extortion and blackmail.

One furious Irishman, now living in Glasgow, said: "I could not believe my eyes when I saw Healy pictured with McDonald.

"Rangers need to have a serious word with Healy. He should set a better example to kids."

Star ... in Gers kit

Star ... in Gers kit

But in 2008 the Northern Ireland ace sparked fury by pretending to play the flute at Celtic supporters while starring for Fulham.

Later that year he received death threats for saying his goal "famine" had ended when he scored against San Marino. Hoops fans accused him of endorsing banned terrace chant the Famine Song.

Last night Rangers said: "David was visiting relatives and friends in Belfast and was asked to pose for numerous pictures."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4100851/Rangers-star-and-UDA-boss.html#ixzz1l7YVvl1b

Would Healy know who he was when he posed for photos? Very doubtful.

Doesn't matter who he was, McDonald is friends with Mary McAleese and her husband for ffs and the IRAway have people in the Northern Irish government.

Mate told me the name on the story is actually Robert McCaulay exit editor of the Celtic View surprise surprise.

That's pretty poor of Healy and I condemn it if he knew who the guy was - but you do have to wonder who would be outraged except some fantastically extreme hypocrites - unless of course they are outraged by any sympathy for the IRA...

You really have to wonder what they are outraged at? To be honest the outraged sound retarded at best - and psychopathic at worst.

That's pretty poor of Healy and I condemn it if he knew who the guy was - but you do have to wonder who would be outraged except some fantastically extreme hypocrites - unless of course they are outraged by any sympathy for the IRA...

You really have to wonder what they are outraged at? To be honest the outraged sound retarded at best - and psychopathic at worst.

Why would you condemn him for getting his photo took with McDonald. Not having a go just wondering, you have to remember where Healy grew up and in what environment. No matter what you think of the UDA or UVF to a lot of people in Ulster these guys were all that stood between them and the IRA.

I would hazard a guess that Healy knew exactly who he was getting his photo took with and saw not a thing wrong and rightly so.

I condemn him doing this as a Rangers player - when he's not with us he can do what he likes. I condemn Celtic players doing the exact same thing and their upbringing doesn't wash. A lot of them feel that the IRA was the only thing that stood between them and the RUC as well as the UDA, UVF and others. The point is your argument is their argument - who is to say who is right? Or are they both right or both wrong?

If there was good reason for him to do it then fair enough, but to court such controversy while representing our club is pretty stupid, tarnishes the club's name and reignites all the crap that comes with it that should be left out of football.

There is a responsibility to live up to when you play for Rangers and Healy has failed there.

I condemn him doing this as a Rangers player - when he's not with us he can do what he likes. I condemn Celtic players doing the exact same thing and their upbringing doesn't wash. A lot of them feel that the IRA was the only thing that stood between them and the RUC as well as the UDA, UVF and others. The point is your argument is their argument - who is to say who is right? Or are they both right or both wrong?

If there was good reason for him to do it then fair enough, but to court such controversy while representing our club is pretty stupid, tarnishes the club's name and reignites all the crap that comes with it that should be left out of football.

There is a responsibility to live up to when you play for Rangers and Healy has failed there.

I hear what your saying mate but we really have to move on as a people. I have no problem with any Celtic player getting his photo took with ex IRA men it's up to them neither story deserves to be in the paper. I have a problem with the way the stories are reported differently. I have friends in Ulster who have to stomach the fact that people who once tried to kill them are sitting in places of power now running the country if they can do that the lest I expect from us is not to report this nothing story in the way it was, but then when you realise who wrote the story it doesn't surprise me.