A few people have mentioned Daniel Cousin being unattached and also Derek Riordan. We have or had Matthew Mbuta on trial - is he a striker?

God knows who McCoist has in mind but if he's serious about adding a striker then he has to move quickly. Something he's failed to do previously.

Not suggesting we should sign him or anything like it

Craig Beattie has been sounded out about short term deal

I know Craig personally and work with his cousin who is in daily contact with him but I don't feel he would be the answer and hope nothing comes of it

Unless I am mistaken, Cousin is 35 now and while leading the line for Gabun (?), is playing for Gabunese side Sapin. They have a deal standing that he can go "without condition" if a European team happens by, but I'm not sure how thin that contractual ice is going to be.

Riordan is still a freebie, would probably jump at the chance to play for a big team again, but a) this rumour is just that, and b) many Rangers supporting boarders do not want him "because he's a ned off the field". (You wonder what people thought of Gascoigne at the time ... when he was not a Rangers players ... and no, I do not suggest that Riordan is anywhere Gazza's quality.)