Can we win the League?

After that farce last night I don't think it would matter if Celtic take a dip in form the ref will step in to help them out. How many times is that this season when the refs decision in their favour has had a huge impact on the game?

I've lost count.

In many seasons you can say both sides had their share of luck and dodgy decisions, but this season is turning into a bit of a joke on that front. From goals being clawed back out to not having to play against 11 men, to being allowed to foul significantly more than any other team in the league. I know we've had some decisions ourselves and just been rubbish too, but there's definitely a balance weighted towards them with the refereeing and officiating this season. I do wonder how many points of a difference it's made, but it's impossible to work out.

Edited by Zappa

I remember about 3 seasons ago Walter went through a truly awful spell - it was the season we won 52 I think (2008/2009) and we'd just gone out of Europe and our domestic form was frankly abysmal.

I posted a thread called 'Walter's lost it' and it spewed a massive debate about how badly we were doing and whether Walter could turn it around. He pulled it back and the rest is history.

Now I am not saying Ally is as good as Walter - he's had a good tutelage alright but he hasn't shown a great deal of evidence that he can handle adversity.

But there is still time.

And if he can turn this around and have us back on top and winning this league, it may top anything Walter ever did. And we all love Walter.

Did we have a near 3 month awful spell? If I had time I would like to compile the results from about November to now and it wont be pretty, pre-season wasn't pretty either, neither was Europe.

Did we have a near 3 month awful spell? If I had time I would like to compile the results from about November to now and it wont be pretty, pre-season wasn't pretty either, neither was Europe.

I think the fairest way of looking at it is our run of 15 SPL games since the international break in October. That run consists of 8 home games and 7 away games in the league starting from the first game back after that international break which was the 1-1 draw with St Mirren at Ibrox. In that period we've recorded 9 wins (5 home, 4 away), 3 draws (all at home) and 3 losses (all away). That's 30 points gained and 15 points dropped over those 15 SPL games.

In most leagues that would probably be considered a pretty decent run of results, but this is Rangers in the SPL where requirements and expectations are different.

Just to add to the picture of that period from 15th October till now, the other lot have played 16 SPL games in that same period, recording 14 wins and 2 draws. That's 44 points gained and only 4 dropped over those 16 games.

It does have to be said though, that luck and decisions have gone their way. 8 of their 14 wins in that period have only been by a single goal and there's been a fair number of controversial decisions. So many of those games and points have been racked up on a bit of luck or a poor refereeing decision. They've played some good football, but just like ourselves they've played some really poor football too as well as being severely tested by a number of improved and very resilient SPL sides.

Anyway, there's still a chance that the pendulum will swing back in our favour. The odds are against us at the moment, but it's not over yet if our squad and manager get their acts together. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that we'll be playing at 100% on the pitch until we find out the outcome of the tax case, but I hope I'm wrong because by the time we hear the next official bit of news about that, the league could be out of sight.

Obviously it's possible, but at the moment I don't see us having the fight to take advantage of any sort of slip by them. Even if we win the remaining OF games I honestly can't see us not dropping points to, well basically anyone in the league. I envisage a fair few horrific 0-0 draws for us between now and MAy :-(