Paul Murray claims 'incredible' support for Ibrox takeover

It is not yet resolved if Craig Whyte stole anything.

It seems to me that he needed to put the club into administration to get rid of the big tax case and as a bonus, many other debts could be reduced. The upshot is that with the company facing the big tax bill would point towards the choice of liquidation or selling the club as a debt-free going concern for at least the type of money that liquidation would raise.

The thing is that bids could come in from multiple parties and Whyte could end up losing the club and being repaid a fraction of the debt he is owed. So the way I see it he's simply moved that debt back to the club to protect his interests.

He may only have invested £1 in the club but then the club will have lost nothing and gained the equivalent of the total debt and whatever the big tax case throws up.

To me is seems if he has to walk away due to a preferred bidder, the money he will receive will be whatever the pennies in the pound is paid out for the original £18 debt.

Say that would be around £5M. While he'll have effectively conned this out of the club he could have left the club £50M or more better off and so is merely taking a 10% commission to wave a magic wand for a debt we couldn't pay...

So he could be doing Rangers a great turn while making a tidy sum for himself...

Edited by calscot

So he could be doing Rangers a great turn while making a tidy sum for himself...

Personally, I don't have a problem with this.

IF he secures the future of the club & gets it into a healthier state of affairs, while still pocketing a tidy sum - I would say its good business!!!

I don't think that PM should be criticised for not putting cash into the club when he was a director. That's irrelevant. We wouldn't either if we were asked during that period.

PM was brought on board for his corporate finance skills and experience and it wasn't his fault that the banking crisis came along and scuppered the G51 project.

He is nothing like CW in that PM is well respected in the industry and has a track record that is open to scrutiny.

Given your other post, I'm surprised that you put CW ahead of PM. PM didn't acquire the club by stealing the club's future income and hasn't lied to the support as far as I'm aware and therefore that puts him way in front of CW.

However I believe that you are correct that PM doesn't personally have the cash to buy the club. He can, however be a conduit for others to do so.

Where he does fall down is his inability to put forward an argument that he can take the club forward. He spectacularly failed at this at the time of the CW takeover and, while making better noises this time, it seems that he has not yet got much funding behind him yet.

I'm also unimpressed by his behind-the-scenes dealings with the fans groups at the moment. We had enough of that before with the anti-Lloyds stuff and largely seems to be self-interest based.

I trust him a hell of a lot more than I do CW, but he still has a bit to do to convince me that he is right man to take things forward, although I'd be saying that about anyone at this point.

My mis-trust of Murray is probably more to do with a lot of the info I have got about him and his "partners" over the last 3 or 4 years, and their part in the PR campaign against Whyte (and therefore blackening the name of the club). For clarification I dont want Whyte either as he doesnt have the funds necessary to fulfil the role to the standard required, but at least I can now see the plan he has had from day 1 and he is close to getting it through, at which time we will be in a much better place to go forward, albeit with a stigma that will outlive us all.

Folks don't seem to realise that we've all had a wake up call and the game has to change. The first thing to do is get rid of all these businessmen and turn football into what they always claim when they're looking for your money, a fans club.

It's the perfect oppotunity for us to do this, instead of going begging to rich businessmen. If they want to sponsor things to do with the most successful club in the world to promote their businesses, then they can, but they should not own the fans club, which they keep telling us it belongs to.

Folks don't seem to realise that we've all had a wake up call and the game has to change. The first thing to do is get rid of all these businessmen and turn football into what they always claim when they're looking for your money, a fans club.

It's the perfect oppotunity for us to do this, instead of going begging to rich businessmen. If they want to sponsor things to do with the most successful club in the world to promote their businesses, then they can, but they should not own the fans club, which they keep telling us it belongs to.

No offence mate but your ave football fan won't have a clue how to run a high profile business. We do need these guys on board as they know what they're doing

No offence mate but your ave football fan won't have a clue how to run a high profile business. We do need these guys on board as they know what they're doing

No offence taken, but exactly what is it that you think they are doing???

I'm actually talking about owning the club, not running it. I'm sure a business the size of Rangers FC would employ the appropriate people, as the present owners do. Or as the present owners are meant to do.

No offence taken, but exactly what is it that you think they are doing???

I'm actually talking about owning the club, not running it. I'm sure a business the size of Rangers FC would employ the appropriate people, as the present owners do. Or as the present owners are meant to do.

I get you now mate. Please note that i'm at the lowest end of the scale on this board when it comes to brains, especially with everything that's going on n

ow :D