Leggat - PAUL MURRAY: THE MAN FOR THE HOUR

THERE is only one man to lead the campaign to save Rangers. And one other to come out and give that man his public backing and wholehearted support.

Paul Murray is the man who can mastermind a takeover to return Rangers to the stewardship of decent, honourable men of substance and dignity.

And Walter Smith is the man whose endorsement of Paul Murray can unite Rangers supporters behind the consortium Paul is trying to put together ahead of a meeting in the next few days with the administrators.

We will call Paul Murray, Paul, in order that they can be no confusion with David. They are not related and although they share the same name some may say they do not share the same values.

Although I have never met Paul, everything those whose judgment I trust â?? businessmen, football folk and senior journalists â?? tell me about him says he is a thoroughly honourable man of uncommon decency and high moral values.

In fact, one pal of a similar vintage to me, described Paul as the sort of man we had encountered in our boyhood and youth, as a Kirk elder, family doctor or headmaster. Old school Scottish and all the better for being it.

As far removed from the shady chicanery of Craig Whyte as it is possible to be.

Paul, though wealthy by normal standards, is not in a position to write a cheque to save Rangers. He needs to form a consortium and include grassrooots supporters to ensure Whyte gets the boot and Rangers return to their roots.

His promise that he does not want to see Rangers ever held hostage to the whims of one majority shareholder, be that David or Whyte, is a display of just what sort of man he is and how deep his passion for Rangers goes.

Paul is not a man who courts publicity. He is not on an ego trip like David, or in it to make a fast buck like the man David was happy enough to sell Rangers to for a knicker.

Which is why Rangers supporters must come together and give Paul their backing. Past differences must be laid aside for the greater good. Supporters schisms healed, or at least papered over until Rangers are rescued.

Anyone making the wrong move now could find themselves reviled for years to come if they endanger Paulâ??s plans.

I believe Walter Smith, who is still on a family holiday in America, holds the key to the whole thing. The key to uniting Rangers supporters. And I also believe he will be happy to join the moves to save the club he loves and served so well.

Smith, above everyone else, knows just what a debt Rangers already owe to Paul. It was during Paulâ??s three years on the board that Rangers saw their debt halved to Lloyds to what should have been a trifling £18M to the bank, while he still managed to provide the manager with the resources to win three in a row. Add four cups and a UEFA Cup Final appearance and you see what a team they made.

None of this should be misconstrued as suggesting that Smith will return for a third stint as manager. It wonâ??t happen. Alastair McCoist and Paul will work together in the same was as Paul and Smith did.

Smithâ??s role will be to make a public declaration of support for Paul, pointing to the support he got from Paul which helped Rangers gain so much success on and off the field between 2008 and 2011.

Such is the honest decency of Paul that it was suggested to me by one of his close confidants that if he wins control, he will look carefully at whether it is possible to re-employ any Rangers employee who faces redundancy during the time the club is in administration.

Bill Struth always saidâ?¦.Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

The hour has come. Paul Murray, with a little help from Walter Smith, can be the man.

http://leggoland2.blogspot.com/

A Damascene like conversion from Leggat the producer of some golden Whyte nuggets.....

However, there can also be little room for doubt that the difficulties which engulf the Ibrox club are not of current owner and chairman, Craig Whyteâ??s making.

So, you are perfectly entitled to ask, why doesnâ??t Craig Whyte just come out and lay his game plan, his end plan, before the people?

It is not so simple. If Whyte did that then he would be revealing his hand. And, as I have said before, Whyte is a poker player from the top drawer.

To let the light shine on his plans would be to give the many dark and sinister forces which are anti Rangers and which have already worked and continue to, against the Ibrox club, a chance to block his scheme.

And, as I have said before, Whyte is a poker player from the top drawer.

It does not matter how often manager Alistair McCoist explains there is no pressure on him to sell, or how many players insist they have no intention of leaving Ibrox at the midway point of the campaign, the doomsayers are equally insistent that owner Craig Whyte will force his manager to get rid of players McCoist does not want to lose.

I think we can safely leave BBC Scotland to Carter Ruck.

What the new regime has achieved so far may not be as glamorous or headline grabbing as what has gone on in the past.

But it is sound, sane, sensible, and good business.

Which is not to say Whyte and McCoist donâ??t have something a bit more spectacular up their sleeve.

It was also interesting to note, in one of the interviews, that Whyte provided the background to recent legal and financial documents he has lodged, which have caused much excitement in some quarters.

What Whyte has done is to protect the future income of Rangers against any possible financial problem which may be caused if the tax case goes against the club, and Rangers are hit with a large bill.

Sound, and normal, competent, clever and far-sighted business practice is what Whyte has indulged in.

It is why he is continuing to emerge as a man who Rangers supporters can trust with the club.

Rangers are just beginning to emerge from a period in which their finances have hampered and hindered, and from which nobody, owner or other board member, had any plan to counter.

What will Mr Hay & Mr Mckerron think of such treachery ?

:admin:

Paul Murray is the man who can mastermind a takeover to return Rangers to the stewardship of decent, honourable men of substance and dignity...........

.........Although I have never met Paul, everything those whose judgment I trust – businessmen, football folk and senior journalists – tell me about him says he is a thoroughly honourable man of uncommon decency and high moral values..........

.........In fact, one pal of a similar vintage to me, described Paul as the sort of man we had encountered in our boyhood and youth, as a Kirk elder, family doctor or headmaster. Old school Scottish and all the better for being it.

[/url]

♪♫ For he's a jolly good fellow,♪♫ he's a jolly good fellow, ♪♫ for he's a jolly good feeelllow......

Aye Right!!!

Leggat has his opinions and fair enough. While the now apparently established anti-Whyte brigade will not let up, they still fail to show us what option there was back last year. Would Lloyds have taken the HMRC case(s) on like he did or would they simply have chucked it, thus making us a "Fourth Lanark"? Wouldn't they have sold all reasonable assets when the doom was impending, to get as much money of their 18m debt back? All questions unanswered. But right now it is fairly easy to give Whyte some flak, especially with continued questioning of e.g. the Ticketus money and where it all went. But there you go.

Since midweek I try to stay away from most of the rumour-mongering and wait and see what the administrators tell us about the finances and all. People still incite one frenzy after another on rumours and hearsay when a few days of wait may well show the latter up as unsubstantiated.

Leggat has his opinions and fair enough. While the now apparently established anti-Whyte brigade will not let up, they still fail to show us what option there was back last year. Would Lloyds have taken the HMRC case(s) on like he did or would they simply have chucked it, thus making us a "Fourth Lanark"? Wouldn't they have sold all reasonable assets when the doom was impending, to get as much money of their 18m debt back? All questions unanswered. But right now it is fairly easy to give Whyte some flak, especially with continued questioning of e.g. the Ticketus money and where it all went. But there you go.

Since midweek I try to stay away from most of the rumour-mongering and wait and see what the administrators tell us about the finances and all. People still incite one frenzy after another on rumours and hearsay when a few days of wait may well show the latter up as unsubstantiated.

I'm 99% with you. The fact CW and one of the admin guys were involved at the start with this feels uncomfortable to me though. Would he come out and say,"Craig Whytes fucked you over"?

Of course, we do have to keep in mind that every bit (however small) of info will be milked to the core by our friends of the Scottish media. They jump to conclusions to sell their info asap ... which is part of their job. That they do this sensibly and impartial is not really high on their agenda right now. It is, after all, the next best thing they experienced since the near-death of the Hooped Horrors in 1994.