Yanks in Gers rescue bid

Back on topic, I wouldnt have an issue with US owners to be honest so long as they had the cash to do so. Given the company's market cap and the possible tax liability in the big tax case you have to wonder what they are getting out of this because there may be little money to make in owning Rangers.

I would almost prefer that the principals (Fortress's founders and executives) bought us personally as they very well may bring more personal wealth to the table than the market cap of the compsny.

Funnily enough I was trying to get one of our investment managers to buy the club, told them it was the right time to get into sports... I think he nearly shit himself when I told him about the big tax case though...... yup, I am no salesman ! :D

I think the biggest problem is the What's In It For Me factor. I wouldn't want anyone creaming off the club's profits.

The ideal would be something like a £40M investment which gives a debt free Rangers and includes a small investment in the playing squad. Then the club turned around to run within its means and therefore perpetually debt free.

So a new owner would need to invest £40M of his/their money for absolutely no return when they could get up to 7% before tax from copper bottomed government bonds - that's £2.8M a year.

So to be honest we probably need someone a bit like SDM... Someone who wants to be in the limelight, instantly famous, and who will not only enjoy that but probably use it to seal other big deals that make them a lot of money. A bit like investing in a posh car and designer suit, watch and pen for business deals. You don't get money from directly them but it builds your image for doing business.

Then they could always make some money slightly indirectly eg tender out Ibrox contracts to their own start up companies and use the guaranteed turnover to increase those operations.

As such we actually need someone with the kind of wealth that SDM had - over £500M so that Rangers are an affordable indulgence.

I think the reality is that we'll get someone like the BKs who haven't enough wealth to pay the debt and so make the club scrabble around for years, working within meagre means while the debt is reduced. They'll have grandiose ideas but without the ability to achieve them.

I can see us ending up fiscally prudent but with one depressing transfer window after another, European football a footnote and struggling to do much domestically against a more affluent and extravagant rival who are able to take quite a few more risks with their spending and debt.

We could end up back in the early eighties...