Celtic confirm Lennon advice

Celtic have confirmed that Neil Lennon was advised by the club's own security staff not to sit in the stands at Ibrox on Sunday.

Lennon was sent to the stands at half-time by referee Calum Murray during Celtic's 3-2 defeat at Old Firm rivals Rangers after complaining about the official's performance.

The Celtic manager ended up watching the second half from the media room and saw a late rally from his team fail to snatch a draw after the visitors had earlier had two players sent off.

Afterwards an angry Lennon claimed his dismissal was "a joke" then said: "I can't sit in the stand for my own safety, that sums things up in this country.

"I would have sat in the directors' box but I was told for my own safety that it wasn't a good idea. I watched the second half in here (the media room)."

A Celtic spokesman said: "Further to certain media reports today, for clarification, Neil was advised by Celtic's own security and operations staff not to enter the stand or directors' box area at Ibrox at yesterday's match.

"He was then provided another area by Rangers in which to watch the match."

More...

Edited by Bluedell

Afterwards an angry Lennon said: "I can't sit in the stand for my own safety, that sums things up in this country.

It sums up more about your club, your security people and you if you thought that you could not sit in the directors box in safety.

So at last the truth. It was celtic officials who knew Lennon could not be trusted to behave in the directors box and told him to go away. Lets not hear anything of safety, it was a decision based purely on Lennon's lack of class, dignity and respect and says more about the bigot from his own officials than we ever could.

Spin,spin. He cannot be trusted to sit and watch the game because he is likely to cause a riot,yet it is being spun as he might be in danger!,HORSESHIT. You are a disgrace to your club and Scottish football.

Matthew Lindsay‏@MattLindsayET

Rangers have released a statment. Neil Lennon was offered place in the director's box at Ibrox. This was declined by Celtic security staff.

Raman Bhardwaj‏@STVRaman

RFC statement: "Neil Lennon was offered a seat in the Director’s Box ... this offer was declined by Celtic’s security staff.”