Best player - Ronaldo or Messi ?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Best player - Ronaldo or Messi ?

• Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Lionel Messi

OK, lets have a simple poll on this.

We had someone post about Neymar potentially being better than Messi. I think he does have that potential but dont think he is there yet.

So much of the debate over best player in the world revolves around Ronaldo or Messi.

So, simple poll, Ronaldo or Messi ?

And, why ??

Messi for me. Does incredible things with the ball at his feet that I dont think that even Ronaldo can do. Also brings more to a team environment than Ronaldo does. IMHO of course.

Messi pips it for me - just! However he is playing in the best club side we've possibly seen and along side 2 of the best central midfielders there has been in Xavi and Iniesta. Id like to see how he'd do at Man Utd. Ronaldo has performed in 2 leagues and with 2 diffrent styles.

But Messi's goals and brilliance is a joy on the eye.

Ron for me. Messi has the benefit of Xavi and Iniesta, plus cannot seem to elevate his form to country level or indeed against Italian teams.

Ron is just as good for Portugal, without having 2 of the greatest midfielders of all time to support him for club.

But if Messi was to move to Rangers, I'd take him.

Ron for me. Messi has the benefit of Xavi and Iniesta, plus cannot seem to elevate his form to country level or indeed against Italian teams.

Ron is just as good for Portugal, without having 2 of the greatest midfielders of all time to support him for club.

But if Messi was to move to Rangers, I'd take him.

I agree with you about Xavi & Iniesta but I think that is a very one sided argument. Ozil, Xabi Alonso, Kaka & Di Maria are hardly slouches either.

Messi has 22 goals in 68 games for Argentina, which is a decent return. Does he play up top for Argentina ? I thought he played in behind the striker(s) ?

Ronaldo has 32 goals in 88 games, also a very decent return. Not sure if he plays up top for Portugal either, does he ?

Neither of them have won any honours with their respective national teams. Admittedly I havent seen a great deal of either at international level but I would certainly be interested in how you, Danny, determine that Messi hasnt produced at that level whilst Ronaldo has ? Ronaldo does carry his team it seems but I would contend that Messi has a better group of players with him at international level so he doesnt need to carry the load, therefore doesnt need to be doing it all for them.

Messi by a country mile. International football doesn’t matter now. The days of having to do it in the WC are by gone. It’s the CL you need to do it now. Messi does that, even with one boot on at times.

There’s a balance, intelligence and vision that has never been seen before and the chances of being seen again are slim. he’d slot into any team and do the bizz. I get the feeling he’ll be at Barca or life though, maybe not

I agree with you about Xavi & Iniesta but I think that is a very one sided argument. Ozil, Xabi Alonso, Kaka & Di Maria are hardly slouches either.

None of those midfielders will ever be remembered as greats. Kaka, in his Milan days, came close, but his form has slid badly since 2007. Xavi and Iniesta will be regarded as greats.

Messi has 22 goals in 68 games for Argentina, which is a decent return. Does he play up top for Argentina ? I thought he played in behind the striker(s) ?

Ronaldo has 32 goals in 88 games, also a very decent return. Not sure if he plays up top for Portugal either, does he ?

Neither of them have won any honours with their respective national teams. Admittedly I havent seen a great deal of either at international level but I would certainly be interested in how you, Danny, determine that Messi hasnt produced at that level whilst Ronaldo has ?

Have a wee read of this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2012/03/political_fears_for_the_future.html

There are some comments about Ronaldo's form for Portugal too, but when I've seen him he's sparkled more than anyone else. Messi's looked subdued, albeit I concede it's been some months since I saw him for Argentina.

Ronaldo does carry his team it seems but I would contend that Messi has a better group of players with him at international level so he doesnt need to carry the load, therefore doesnt need to be doing it all for them.

Not entirely agreed - Portugal are a stronger outfit than Argie these days - look at the rankings if you don't believe me. But your argument isn't consistent there - I'm not sure what point you're making?

El Clasico went some way, possibly, towards evening up the balance a bit here. Like I've said before, Ron doesn't get the credit he deserves and frankly ran the show yesterday. Messi wasn't poor but lacked end product.