1minute applause for shearer . wtf

RB:

As I said elsewhere, I don't think this is about one issue but this topic along with other let downs from the club means people are getting more and more frustrated with how the club deal with certain stuff.

As a result, everything is scrutinised and there seems to be little positives to do with Rangers at the moment.

I just cant help but think that if we were top of the league and playing well a lot (im not saying all) of rangers fans who are kicking up fuck about this wouldnt bother about it.

Perhaps, but as I say it's another symptom of the club/fans poor relationship disease.

We deserve better treatment and as long as people are unhappy with the current regime, the deficencies they see will always be highlighted no matter the link.

Im sure some will say the club are covering thier arse here but if this is true then we are correct to do as they wish, should our preference come before his family?

IT is the wishes of the family of Bobby Shearer that a minute's applause takes place at Ibrox tomorrow night ahead of the CIS Insurance Cup tie with St Johnstone.

Former Ibrox captain Bobby sadly passed away yesterday after a short illness and the family are thrilled that Bobby's life will be celebrated by the Rangers supporters.

Rangers great Sandy Jardine, who has been in charge of organising a Club tribute to the combative full back nicknamed Captain Cutlass, consulted with the family. Bobby's wife Ella and family members said that it was the family's wishes to have a minute's applause and that it was what Bobby would have wanted given that he was a man who enjoyed life.

Bobby, who captained Rangers in the remarkable Treble-winning season of 1963/64, won 12 major honours during 10 terrific years with Rangers and former team mates are pleased that he is to he honoured ahead of the St Johnstone match.

Eric Caldow, who played left back in the famous team of the 1960s, said: " I think the decision to have a minute's applause for Bobby is a great gesture. Having played alongside Bobby and known Bobby really well, I know he would have loved it that 50,000 Rangers fans will applaud him in this way."

Striker Jimmy Millar is also delighted that Bobby's life is to be celebrated. He said: "I agree with Eric that Bobby would have loved it that the Rangers fans stand in appreciation and applaud him for a minute."

RB:

Certain people I know contacted the club yesterday and were told nothing about the families wishes. That changed today and although I may be being a bit cynical I wouldn't put it past the current regime to ensure the applause route was the one offered to make the club look good.

Cynical but not un-realistic.

No matter now though - the decision has been taken and now the moment should be observed in the manner requested or how people feel personally.

I'll do both to be honest.

clapping will keep the handies warm if nothing else. Although may be a bit sore and sting a bit after an hour? And if half the ground are wearing gloves (as they should be in this weather) then there aint gonna be a lot of noise.

Just another way of looking at it...........

Silence is the way it should be. And nobody does it better than us.

Logically clapping is more appropriate to me. None of us knew the guy, he probably played before we were born, and so we won't really genuinely mourn the loss of a 74 year old who died of natural causes. So a grave silence doesn't seem appropriate - it's more for an untimely death.

However we can all appreciate his ability as a footballer and celebrate his time at our club by applauding during what is pretty much his final curtain call.

Logically clapping is more appropriate to me. None of us knew the guy, he probably played before we were born, and so we won't really genuinely mourn the loss of a 74 year old who died of natural causes. So a grave silence doesn't seem appropriate - it's more for an untimely death.

However we can all appreciate his ability as a footballer and celebrate his time at our club by applauding during what is pretty much his final curtain call.

do you do a minutes silence at 11 am every 11/11? I do...

Did you do a minutes silence for the victims of 9/11....?

can you imagine what it would be like if we were all to stand and applaud at times like these..? :confused:

Why do it on Saturday? I just cant work that one out...