On the park consequences...off the park turmoil.

How will all this affect the quality and size of the squad?

Putting individual bidders and runners aside, I think we can all agree that we are going to have to get used to a much diminished group of players for at least the next couple of campaigns but how will this pan out? Here is my take...

Firstly the following has to be taken into account:

1) - The players who accepted wage cuts will go straight back to full pay in June

2) - Some of those player MAY have clauses inserted in their contracts which give them the right to leave on a FREE or at a pre-agreed transfer fee.

3) - Whoever ends up in control will have to reduce or wipe out the alleged £10m per year trading deficit.

Given the above and assuming we are in the SPL at the start of season 2012/13 AND the transfer embargo is suspended or removed on appeal (this is the likely outcome in my opinion) then it's not hard to see that we are going to lose the majority of our current first team in the summer. This will hopefully exclude young players just breaking through like McCabe, Ness, Hutton, Perry, Little.

Best case scenario is that we keep a few low earners,those who are in their final season or two or those who wouldn't attract a transfer fee and who fit into either of the previous categories like Bocanegra, Aluko Goian and Healy. Anybody who doesn't fit this criteria will be I'm afraid sold. This will include:

McGregor

Wallace

Edu

Davis

Whittaker

Bedoya

Naismith

Lafferty

It could be argued that in any event this scenario is still pretty probable, worst case scenario is that we start 2012/13 in SFL Div 3 with a transfer embargo in force. The only difference is that we would then have zero chance of keeping Bocanegra, Aluko, Goian etc and we would only be able to replace them with U18 players.

Either way we are going to have to get very creative when trying to add to our squad. This should mean that we scout young and up and coming players throughout the continent, taking on U18 players from Scandinavia, England, The US and of course Scotland.

Could we compete with a squad full of existing young players, new young players and (transfer embargo excluded) free's, loans and those coming with small transfer fees? I believe we could.

Whatever the state of the squad at the start of next season it is going to be a tough time for us and a huge amount of adjusting expectation is going to have to be done by us the fans. We're almost at the end of one horrific saga and I'm afraid another one is just about to start. I only hope that the terrific support the current squad (and management) have had will continue even when we see a team of young 'Gers take the field and possibly struggle.

Edited by Juancornetto

Really good assessment JC we will lose some of the top earners some might take a wage cut to stay (fingers crossed). But it will be build a new team which why we need the transfer ban lifted its just crazy. The young lads and the squad players will never get a better chance than this to become Legends let's hope they grab it with both hands.

It's really difficult to judge what will happen until we know where we are playing, what sanctions are upon us and what our budget is.

You'd hope we'd be able to keep a few senior players but it's impossible to know their intentions. Guys like McGregor, Davis and Naismith may love the club but I doubt they'd want to sacrifice their career for it. Meanwhile, folk like Boca and Goian may have been tempted here before with success and Euro football - they might not be so keen now and I doubt we'll be able to afford expensive veterans like them.

As is the case generally, we can only wait and hope unfortunately.

I think one of the first things Mr Miller (or any new owner) will do is renegotiate the players contracts. They will be unwilling to remain at the current level but hopefully most will agree to a reduced wage compared to what they were on (but more than now...).

I think we would do pretty decently with some of the young guys coming through. Perry has shown he can handle 1st team action, as has Ness, McCabe, Hutton, Cole etc.

Re: the £10m deficit, wasn't most of that due to Ticketus? & if so, would that not exist anymore? Or am I way off base?

Good point Erga, it's also worth noting that Craig Whyte came out with this figure so half it and divide it by 3 and you'll be nearer the truth.

Good point Erga, it's also worth noting that Craig Whyte came out with this figure so half it and divide it by 3 and you'll be nearer the truth.

Haha, I just spat my coco pops on my laptop!