What's the story with the Azure/Elior catering contract?

Let them bid on stalls in the various stands. And not just the burger people .... why not Greggs or Pizza Hut or even subway. Give the fans a choice and a bit of competition would keep the vendors honest.

SDM sold the merchandising because he thought that margins on shirts - which is where the money is - were going to be hit by cheap imports and by people like Tesco selling them cheap. He was wrong but his motivation, at least this time, was honest.

Let them bid on stalls in the various stands. And not just the burger people .... why not Greggs or Pizza Hut or even subway. Give the fans a choice and a bit of competition would keep the vendors honest.

My 10 year old said this only yesterday, that a Greggs in Ibrox would make a killing. I find it hard to believe that any professional company would put their name to the muck that is served us on matchdays - a 10 minute queue for a scorching hot, thin piece of questionable meat at vastly overinflated prices. The staff are available and might well fancy a break from the same old same old...and some Greggs wenches are quite fetching.

Guest Guardian

I doubt the admins would have the power to cancel the contracts. They would remain in force until liquidation.

They would need to be bought out.

If we could broker a better deal elsewhere, they might do the buying out for us.

I've always felt we could be a lot more imaginative with the catering. I don't meaning Jamie Oliver by the way. I'm talking more of some of the bigger players in the industry.

Rangers should also build and open a club even if only for matchdays. It wouldn't cost much and would generate substantial profits. We might even be able to partner with a brewery chain to cover the costs of building it. The privately owned wee Rangers club is always mobbed and too small, so it wouldn't be badly affected by Rangers opening their own.

There may be licensing issues etc, but even with that, there is plenty spare ground around Ibrox. There is a dearth of watering holes around Ibrox and loads of drinkers, so the club should be looking to cash in here.

It could also be used for other purposes too.

We had the Edmiston Club for a while of course. Going into any other business is always a gamble for a football club. Ultimately it isn't what we're good at so we take a chance we can get good staff, manager etc. The cyclical nature of pubs and clubs means that eventually it will cost us money.

Kilmarnock's hotel should serve as a warning to all clubs.

Guest Guardian
We had the Edmiston Club for a while of course. Going into any other business is always a gamble for a football club. Ultimately it isn't what we're good at so we take a chance we can get good staff, manager etc. The cyclical nature of pubs and clubs means that eventually it will cost us money.

Kilmarnock's hotel should serve as a warning to all clubs.

I was thinking something a bit bigger and more suitable for purpose. Also not a club as such, probably more like an outlet. We own the land, build costs would be small and the profits huge.

I wouldn't want us going into the pub or hotel business, but on matchdays it seems daft we give away a lot of trade elsewhere when we are in dire need of funds.

The catering needs a serious overhaul. I can see the strategy, buy cheap shite and sell it dearly, but that is just a rip-off and many fans won't go near it.

There is a balancing act between high cost and few buyers or lower cost and many buyers and I think we are too high at the moment. I think if they lowered the prices a bit they'd sell an awful lot more.

I'd be happier if we got the rights back and had a rethink about how we organise the catering and what partners we should work with.

To be honest if it were only for Match days they would be better trying to fit a room\hall into Ibrox itself. Spending a lot of money for a few hours a week and having it doing nothing for the rest of the week is pretty bad business in my eyes.

Guest Guardian
To be honest if it were only for Match days they would be better trying to fit a room\hall into Ibrox itself. Spending a lot of money for a few hours a week and having it doing nothing for the rest of the week is pretty bad business in my eyes.

I think there is some sort of licensing issue with it being in the stadium itself, which is why I suggested taking it into the grounds or nearby.

A few hundred grand in building it (assuming we didn't partner it) and it'd pay for itself in no time, leaving us with a virtually cost free source of income.

I wonder if it is only on matchdays that people are around and about, though. There's the pitch across the road, usually has some traffic, when I was up for tickets last week there was an Ulsterbus disgorging plenty of folks, and when I was meant to be at school I spent plenty afternoons in the old shop near the tube station (ah, those posters of John MacDonald...where are they now?) and wandering round Ibrox just to be there...I know that was mid 80s (1980's, I mean) but have we really changed that much?

I think there's potential for a business to turn a profit outwith matchday hours, when police concerns would likely see licensing restrictions.