Squad Next Season

IMO I think we will have a salary cap of around 15k a week. That means I can see the likes of McGregor, Davis and Whittaker leaving. With the transfer embargo in place it simply means that a lot of youngsters will have to step up next season and I'm confident the likes of Ness, McCabe, Perry and Hutton will do that.

Next season will be a transistional one for the club but we it will be short term pain for long term gain.

I'd be very happy if we could keep the following 1st team players for next season:

Keepers

McGregor

Adam

Gallacher

Right back

Broadfoot

Ortiz

Cole

Central Defence

Bocanegra

Goian

Perry

Hegarty

Left Back

Wallace

Kerkar (utility player)

Central Midfield

Davis

McCabe

Ness

Hutton

Attacking Midfielders who can play as Strikers too

Naismith

Aluko

Bedoya

Fleck

Strikers

McCulloch

Little

Hemmings

If we kept that squad, then the players who'd be leaving including ones whose contract runs out anyway would be:

Alexander - Great back up, but rarely needed.

Whittaker - One of our highest earners that we could sell for decent money.

Papac - Leaving anyway.

Bartley - Leaving anyway.

Edu - If wage is managable, then we could keep him, especially if Davis leaves.

Healy - Not given enough of a chance. Out of contract.

Lafferty - One of our higher earners that we could sell for decent money.

If you added those players to those who've already left this season - Jelavic, McKay, Wylde, McMillan & Celik, that would be 12 players off the wage bill.

Pretty severe cuts, but severe cuts to our wage bill are needed.

Good post Zappa. Pretty much agree with all you have put down there. But would also think Ortiz would be one away for sure.

Guest budgie

It is all very well saying we should hold out for what we want but the values we,as fans, place on players are not necessarily the values which clubs would offer.Davis failed to hold down a place at Fulham of all clubs and his time up here has certainly not raised his perceived value down south. I would doubt that any offer over £2 million at most would be made for a player who has looked second best in midfield against more than a few spl midfield players.

Ortiz has not given the impression that he could do any sort of job for us and in his time here he has shown that he cannot tackle,beat opponents, put in a decent cross and has not looked as if he has the heart for a difficult game.

Surely the truth in this unfortunately is it won't be up to Rangers. All of our players are potential targets and I'd be astonished if Davis, Naismith, McGregor, Goian and Bocanegra aren't the subject of offers. We still owe money on Boca and Goian and that might go against keeping them. The fact Naismith isn't fit might mean we keep him in the summer transfer window however if he finds the form he had early this season we'll lose him in January, we'd struggle to keep him no matter what shape we were in. We can assume Lafferty is gone and I expect Edu will go too. I've still to figure out the Aluko position but I'd be surprised if he isn't snapped up by someone down south he's been exceptional and a club like Wolves or Bolton could double his salary in the Championship and offer the prospect of promotion to the EPL.

My real worry is losing the promising young players for not a lot. We simply might not be in a position to turn down a £600,000 plus add ons for Ness or McCabe. The disappointing thing about how well Jelavic has done is it will have alerted a few about the standard of player available at the club. We've a dark few years ahead I'm afraid.

Apologies for the pessimism.