Top QC Richard Keen Leads Appeal

0,,5~10854472,00.jpg

by Lindsay Herron

ONE of the leading legal brains in the UK will spearhead Rangers' appeal against a season-long transfer embargo tomorrow.

Mr Richard Keen QC has been hired to fight the Ibrox club's corner after a Judicial Panel took the highly punitive action for "bringing the game into disrepute" at a hearing last month.

The main thrust for reaching this decision was over the non-payment of PAYE and VAT. They judged that although Craig Whyte made this decision, other directors should have known and done something about it.

Rangers put forward a compelling case that Craig Whyte was acting alone and Mr Keen will be reinforcing this view over the appeals process which could last two or three days.

Sitting on the Appeals panel are Lord Carloway, Spartans chairman Craig Graham and former Partick Thistle chairman Allan Cowan.

Manager Ally McCoist has already indicated how disastrous it would be for the club if the transfer embargo remained as it would not only prevent Rangers from signing players but lead to current stars leaving.

Mr Keen is Dean of the Faculty of Advocates in Scotland and famously acted for Al Amin Fhimah, who was acquitted at the Lockerbie Bomb trial in Holland in 2001.

Edited by Zappa

Guest Guardian

Given how easy McBride ran rings round the SFA rules, surely this chap can do the same ?

Their rulings were contradictory and against natural justice, so hopefully they will see sense and remove the embargo. The fines etc can remain.

The only difference with McBride is that the SFA were very sympathetic to his client from the start, but wanted to look tough.

I dont think even the fines against the club should stay. The punishments against Whyte are fair enough as he has offered no co-operation and the evidence all leads to him ruining our club from the inside alone.

The club, with a 140 unblemished record I might add, should never have been charged with a disrepute charge as there is absolutely no evidence of this happening at the club whatsoever from anyone outwith CW. The club fully co-operated with the SFA up until last summer, and has again done so since mid-Feb this year. The magnatude of the attempted penalties and charges for the period in between can in no way whatsoever be fairly construed as our club being guilty of bringing the game into disrepute.

I am fully expecting Keen to give evidence to this effect and for all charges against the club to be thrown out. The one proviso in all this is that we are not dealing with a proper judge and jury here, we are dealing with a Regan-led witchhunt. We should ensure they know we will take this to CAS if this goes against us, and to the legal courts in this country also if required.

The only difference with McBride is that the SFA were very sympathetic to his client from the start, but wanted to look tough.

I dont think even the fines against the club should stay. The punishments against Whyte are fair enough as he has offered no co-operation and the evidence all leads to him ruining our club from the inside alone.

The club, with a 140 unblemished record I might add, should never have been charged with a disrepute charge as there is absolutely no evidence of this happening at the club whatsoever from anyone outwith CW. The club fully co-operated with the SFA up until last summer, and has again done so since mid-Feb this year. The magnatude of the attempted penalties and charges for the period in between can in no way whatsoever be fairly construed as our club being guilty of bringing the game into disrepute.

I am fully expecting Keen to give evidence to this effect and for all charges against the club to be thrown out. The one proviso in all this is that we are not dealing with a proper judge and jury here, we are dealing with a Regan-led witchhunt. We should ensure they know we will take this to CAS if this goes against us, and to the legal courts in this country also if required.

I hope this QC guy rips them a new one