They should have given him another season. Poor league campaign, but he was a bawhair from winning them the cup double and a European spot which by all accounts would have made it a successful season for them.

So I wonder who they'll go for? It'll be a big signal of the owners ambitions for the club if it's not a top manager. If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be extremely underwhelmed with the prospect of Martinez being hired.

Martinez should bite the bullet and try Villa this time.

As for Liverpool how about Villas Boas :whistle::D.

They should push the boat out and hire Pep Guardiola. :D

His signings have been awful and he well over paid for them. Saurez excluded.

The 2 surprise candidates could be Mourinho or Davie Moyes. Liverpool have potential and that might suit Jose although he is probably holding out for the Man Utd job but he needs to fill his time until that one comes up.

Moyes would be a great pick for them. Would stir up a lot but so be it.

Capello is probably another in the running.

Would be surprised to see them go for Lambert or Martinez, I think they will go for someone with a track record of a high level.

Edited by Gribz

I'm sure the Liverpool fans will be chuffed if they sign the cabbage. :D

Yeah....but I think he is by far a better club team manager and he will be working with mix foreigners.....the problem he had with England was they were all English :grin:

I personally think they will go for Didier Deschamps.

Taking Dalglish was a morale booster only. I wonder how Hodgson would have eventually done there.

I think he's unlucky to be sacked after winning one cup and narrowly losing the final of the other. Eighth in league is hardly very inspiring but also hardly a disaster when considering the number of teams with loads of money to spend.

The only real embarrassment is Everton finishing above them and being level on points with Fulham. It's pretty normal for Liverpool to finish behind Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea, while Man City have spent a billion on their team and as their money is from oil they make the league very Mickey Mouse. Tottenham and Newcastle have spent a lot lately and it's no disgrace to be behind them for a season.

I believe they also qualify for Europe in two ways - League Cup winners and Cup runners up when winners already have qualified.

I think he deserved one more go to establish his squad and give a better statistical sample of what he can do. What if they get a new manager, finish say 5th in the league but go out in the cups before the semis and win nothing?

For me, in England, I'd rather win a cup and finish 8th than finish than finish 5th and win nothing. Of course 4th brings the CL and so could be considered better - however how realistic is it for the likes of Liverpool with Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal all with more money?

Maybe he was a shite manger - I don't know, but his level of success was to me very passable for a Liverpool in the modern day. Maybe they just need to get real...