Richard Wilson Article In The Herald

It's that kind of attitude that's played a big part in negating our ability to reach our potential. Throwing money aimlessly at 'moonbeams' while neglecting key areas of our business to the point that it's profitable to contract them out to 3rd parties because we weren't capable or interested in running them properly ourselves.

Where's the money coming from for an SPL club chasing rainbows round the world?

How much have the scum made from their Japanese, Chinese and Korean adventures?

How much did we make from our Chinese and Australian tie-ups?

Where's the money coming from for an SPL club chasing rainbows round the world?

How much have the scum made from their Japanese, Chinese and Korean adventures?

How much did we make from our Chinese and Australian tie-ups?

Hey I'm not saying it's easy. There's a lot more to it than signing a household name from that neck of the woods and then jetting over there for a few friendlies.

First and foremost, I think we would need to establish a network of contacts in a variety of key industries surrounding the game in the region. That's not something that would necessarily take any significant amount of funding or cause any distraction from the footballing side of our business.

The Sevco consortium might be able to create that sort of foundation. If they are, then would we be able to benefit from it? That's another story, given our situation with merchandising and TV rights. I would imagine sponsorship is one option we could still take advantage of.

What was our Chinese tie-up BTW?

Edited by UCF2008

Signing a household name from any country wont necessarily guarantee extra revenue.

When I went to Bulgaria on holiday about 8 or 9 years ago (cheap food and booze) almost everywhere I turned, all I saw were green and grey hoops, even the guys working behind the bars were wearing them. (Petrov is very popular in that part of the world)

I went back two years ago and all you could see were Villa tops.

Not sure if both clubs made any money from selling these shirts as they were most likely to be copies.

ps. Won't go back there it's full of crooks run by the Bulgarian mafia.

Hey I'm not saying it's easy. There's a lot more to it than signing a household name from that neck of the woods and then jetting over there for a few friendlies.

First and foremost, I think we would need to establish a network of contacts in a variety of key industries surrounding the game in the region. That's not something that would necessarily take any significant amount of funding or cause any distraction from the footballing side of our business.

The Sevco consortium might be able to create that sort of foundation. If they are, then would we be able to benefit from it? That's another story, given our situation with merchandising and TV rights. I would imagine sponsorship is one option we could still take advantage of.

What was our Chinese tie-up BTW?

Just goes to show how successful it was !

http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1SVED_enGB393GB393&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Glasgow+Rangers+Shenzhen+Jianlibao

140.jpg

That partnership deal was brokered and managed by a 3rd party - FMMI. Interestingly enough Schenzen won the inaugural Chinese Super League in 2004. Quite like that shirt :)

Signing a household name from any country wont necessarily guarantee extra revenue.

Absolutely. You need to have the infrastructure - The right people with the vision and wherewithal to make the most of it.

If it's done properly, then yes.

The trouble with increasing our profile abroad isn't necessarily the difficulty of creating awareness in our brand as much as capitalising on it.

For instance we could have issues with TV deals that other big clubs don't. Likewise with merchandising. There are other avenues we could explore of course

We're on live in most of the world anyway. I don't get why people think we can make money through TV. Even if we were as a big a team as some fans think we are, they forget we play games at the same time as the EPL, we can never ever compete with them

We're on live in most of the world anyway. I don't get why people think we can make money through TV. Even if we were as a big a team as some fans think we are, they forget we play games at the same time as the EPL, we can never ever compete with them

One of our biggest problems apart from being a small nation in population size is that the football fans we have in Scotland give a strong impression they would rather watch English football than Scottish. This does nothing but devalue our game which is why the EPL TV deal is worth something like 70 times more than ours despite their popualtion only being 10 times which reduces to something like 6 times when you consider per capita attendance of matches.

I still remember when a large number of "loyal" Rangers fans had Sky Sports subscriptions but no Setanta.

We can never compete with the EPL on an even pegging never mind this perverse lack of support for you own game.

We can only compete even a little by doing something completely different - like the Dutch or Australians. They still have a higher population than us but the former punch well above that weight in both domestic and international football and the latter do amazingly well in the Olympics - and are huge in other sports such as rugby.

We need parliamentary law and funding to completely change how we nurture all sport in our small country and perhaps become a prouder and far more healthy nation as a result.

Sport in Scotland is now seen as a trivial past-time when it is hugely important to health, wealth and prestige of a country. The superpowers spend masses of money on sporting success for a reason.

When I went to Bulgaria on holiday about 8 or 9 years ago (cheap food and booze) almost everywhere I turned, all I saw were green and grey hoops, even the guys working behind the bars were wearing them. (Petrov is very popular in that part of the world)

I went back two years ago and all you could see were Villa tops.

Not sure if both clubs made any money from selling these shirts as they were most likely to be copies.

ps. Won't go back there it's full of crooks run by the Bulgarian mafia.

Uncle Bulgaria was the only Bulgarian i ever had time for.