Our history is not yet safe.

While reading an article on Rangers standard one comment jumped out and hit me on the face. While the history of the football club is not attached to the corporate company and therefore won't be lost when the corporate company goes bust, a football club does need a league to play in. If all Scottish clubs vote against us entering the league then our history will be in jeopardy. The most recent example of this was Airdrieonians. Airdrie were refused entry into the SFL and replaced by Gretna. They re-entered the league by taking over Clydebank and moving it to Airdrie but they had to start as Airdrie united which took away the official history of the club. The memories live forever of course. Given that Scottish football is a fucked up institution it is not outwith the bounds of imagination that there are forces working to see the total downfall of our club. Lets hope that sanity prevails and the powers that be vote us back in at some level but sanity seems to have a base of quicksand in the realms of Scottish football and sporting integrity.

The Chairmen of Scottish football clubs have our club and history by the balls.

I hope someone tells me this is Pish.

While reading an article on Rangers standard one comment jumped out and hit me on the face. While the history of the football club is not attached to the corporate company and therefore won't be lost when the corporate company goes bust, a football club does need a league to play in. If all Scottish clubs vote against us entering the league then our history will be in jeopardy. The most recent example of this was Airdrieonians. Airdrie were refused entry into the SFL and replaced by Gretna. They re-entered the league by taking over Clydebank and moving it to Airdrie but they had to start as Airdrie united which took away the official history of the club. The memories live forever of course. Given that Scottish football is a fucked up institution it is not outwith the bounds of imagination that there are forces working to see the total downfall of our club. Lets hope that sanity prevails and the powers that be vote us back in at some level but sanity seems to have a base of quicksand in the realms of Scottish football and sporting integrity.

The Chairmen of Scottish football clubs have our club and history by the balls.

I hope someone tells me this is Pish.

What constitutes the club's 'history' in terms of it's continuity seems to be open to debate. The existing history may be at risk to some extent due to threats of titles being stripped. As it stands the Rangers brand and IP have transferred to the newco along with the other assets. The club itself hasn't seized to exist and as long as that remains to be the case there can't be any break in the club's history.

Don't get me wrong, no matter what way this plays out there WILL be a lasting stain and yes, they do have us by the balls. If we did have to force our way back into the game by taking over another club, then yes it could be argued that there is a break in the history, but those who wish to make such arguments are already doing so. At the end of the day it's what the club means to us bears that matters most. They CAN'T take that away.

if we buy another club then we get their history. I don't think theirs any suggestion we will do that.

Disagree with this we will only keep their history if we do not transfer it to Rangers.

From the Airdrie website.

the past cannot be forgotten...

We cannot forget the tremendous pride that a football club can give to a community - why should our 500 year old town lose the right to enjoy similar successes in future? Airdrieonians FC (1878 - 2002). Indeed, a club called "Airdrie" was playing around the time Queen's Park pioneered the game in Scotland. From September 23, 1922, until December 5, 1925, Airdrieonians were undefeated on their own ground - a record to remember with pride.

Airdrieonians FC played in four Scottish Cup Finals, winning the cup in 1924. In 1992/3 they played Sparta Prague in The European Cup Winners Cup - losing only 3-1 on aggregate.

More recently, they won the Bells Challenge Cup in both 2000 and 2001 and again in 2008, a considerable feat for a club that, at that time, was making more news from off-the-park activities.

The list of well-known ex- Airdrieonians FC players is so impressive that it would probably take our new Airdrie United FC another 100 years to emulate - Jock Ewart, Hughie Gallacher, Willie Russell, Bob McPhail, Jimmy Crapnell (9 caps - 1928-34), Bobby Flavell, Frank Brennan, Hughie Baird (53 goals in 1954/5), Ian Macmillan, Tommy Murray, Paul Jonquin (708 appearances 1962-79), Jim Black, Drew Jarvie, Derek Whiteford, Sandy Clark, John Martin (755 appearances 1980-99), Jimmy Sandison, David Fernandez, Owen Coyle and Sandy Stewart. The list can go on and on - let's hope the tradition can also.

History can't be erased, even if Rangers failed to exist any longer history books will still say Rangers won 54 titles, but taken over another club, like Airdire did when they bought Clydebanks share, would end the continuation of our history.

Edit- The more I think about that, im not sure that would be the case. It could be argued that the old Rangers history would become part of the new Rangers history .

We're not going to be taken over any other club anyway so I dont think we need to worry about it .

Edited by TheWeeBlueDevil

I'm past caring what a record book says, we know our history and no-one can take that away.

I will also support us in which ever form we take It is the fucked up Scottish football I am starting to hate. A friend in need is one to be booted in the face.

History can't be erased, even if Rangers failed to exist any longer history books will still say Rangers won 54 titles, but taken over another club, like Airdire did when they bought Clydebanks share, would end the continuation of our history.

Edit- The more I think about that, im not sure that would be the case. It could be argued that the old Rangers history would become part of the new Rangers history .

We're not going to be taken over any other club anyway so I dont think we need to worry about it .

If Rangers are reformed as a newco with "Rangers" somewhere in the name, then I don't think there is any doubt that we retain the history; as I've said a number of times on here if you check the UEFA web site you will see that AC and ACF Fiorentina are regarded as the same club with the same history.

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/teams/club=52817/profile/index.html

Another Coppa Italia followed in 2000/01 but a year later Fiorentina were in Serie C2 â?? the fourth tier â?? following bankruptcy. The only player to remain at the club in its new incarnation was Angelo Di Livio. Helped by him and new ownership in the shape of the Della Valle family, they returned to grace almost as quickly as they had lost it and since Cesare Prandelli's 2005 appointment, Fiorentina have gone from strength to strength.

But if we were to buy another club (East Stirling were mentioned some time ago) and rename it then I think the comparisons with Airdrie & Airdrie Utd are accurate. Airdireonians died and a new club was born.

Whilst I don't think that is ilkely, equally it is not an impossible scenario; if the SFL do not vote to admit us at all.

If Rangers are reformed as a newco with "Rangers" somewhere in the name, then I don't think there is any doubt that we retain the history; as I've said a number of times on here if you check the UEFA web site you will see that AC and ACF Fiorentina are regarded as the same club with the same history.

http://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/teams/club=52817/profile/index.html

But if we were to buy another club (East Stirling were mentioned some time ago) and rename it then I think the comparisons with Airdrie & Airdrie Utd are accurate. Airdireonians died and a new club was born.

Whilst I don't think that is ilkely, equally it is not an impossible scenario; if the SFL do not vote to admit us at all.

We are in the hands of the SFL Chairmen at this moment.