Gersnet Analysis: Propaganda, Power and Protests

Firstly, I think it�s important that I should say that I�d still consider myself reasonably neutral when it comes to the position and record of David Murray.

Nevertheless, this Rangers fan has been rather vocal recently with regard to who it holds responsible for our clubs current woes and it was reasonably pleasing to see Murray return to the limelight last week and attempt to address our concerns.

What too many people forget is that Murray isn�t daft. He may have made mistakes lately in several areas but he�s been clever in the way he covers his tracks. By waiting so long to speak out he essentially let his new management team shoulder the burden alone for the poor results. Not unreasonable given their errors but I�m sure PLG and Yves Colleau would have preferred some backing a wee bit earlier.

Next, we hear the chairman has personally visited the players and told them performances are unacceptable. Again, they could hardly complain at this censure but it�s further clever sleight of hand to remove the attention from the some annoyed fans� focal point.

Fridayââ?¬â?¢s interview then gave the chairman the opportunity to defend his position even more. Why should he be to blame? Heââ?¬â?¢s only ensuring we remain fiscally prudent; the club canââ?¬â?¢t afford to spend serious money any more; we need to stick together; heââ?¬â?¢s hurting just as much; he wonââ?¬â?¢t sell to any prospective buyer; heââ?¬â?¢s still the right man for the job. No admission of mistakes then ââ?¬â?? just a man absolving himself of blame and preserving his infallibility amongst the adoring majority.

In some ways heââ?¬â?¢s correct ââ?¬â?? but in others he fails to answer the questions many fans still have. Of course we have to be careful in how we spend our money. After all it was the chairmanââ?¬â?¢s mistakes of years past that led (in part) to our downsizing in many areas. That was necessary but just because we need to be prudent with our money doesnââ?¬â?¢t mean we need to downsize our ambitions for the future. In addition by asking for patience until January (and next May) he has again bought time from fans that have already waited long enough for signs of improvement on and off the pitch. We canââ?¬â?¢t afford another 3rd place finish while he finds the right blend of fiscal responsibility and player capability.

I do agree with the chairman in that we need to stick together. However, that goes both ways and defence from the regime has been sadly lacking as the fans (and club generally) still take flak from all sides. Our manager was even disgracefully called a ââ?¬Ë?hunââ?¬â?¢ in one tabloid yesterday without official comment from the club.

Just as disappointing was a statement on our own official site giving credence to aggressive behaviour from a number of fans who ââ?¬Ë?overpoweredââ?¬â?¢ a small protest against the Murray administration which resulted in a banner being ripped and angry words being exchanged between the opposing groups. Itââ?¬â?¢s a shame that the Murray propaganda machine is so quick to applaud his backers acting so aggressively but is posted missing when his own manager is spat upon by Celtic fans or described in derogatory terms in newspapers.

Unfortunately, while our club continues to under-achieve in so many areas, there will always be disagreement between the fans as to who is the cause of any problems. Murray is the easy answer but he's by no means the only cause and it�s difficult to directly blame him for lacklustre player performances and a manager struggling to adapt to a pacey and physical Premier League.

As such, I'm unsure that direct ââ?¬Ë?Murray Must Goââ?¬â?¢ protests are the answer at this point in time. Yes, results have been poor and yes, current board strategy is questionable but until Murray finds a buyer, he's not going to be going anywhere any time soon. After all, he can hardly be sacked and with the club worth around Ã?£40-60million heââ?¬â?¢s not going to just walk away.

In my opinion itââ?¬â?¢s best for the unhappy fans to channel their frustration into more positive avenues of protest so Iââ?¬â?¢d urge every fan to consider joining the Rangers Supportersââ?¬â?¢ Trust. Although they, like this article, are neither pro/anti-Murray they do care passionately about our club. Indeed, if it wasnââ?¬â?¢t for their pressurisation in midweek Murray wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have emerged from his Charlotte Square bunker and (albeit with the help of many other bears) we might not have seen an apology from ââ?¬Ë?The Sunââ?¬â?¢ regarding the Paul Le Guen fiasco.

The RST certainly isnââ?¬â?¢t for everyone and thatââ?¬â?¢s perfectly fine. Not everyone agrees with their main ethos of fan participation/ownership while certain aspects of their strategy are not ââ?¬Ë?militantââ?¬â?¢ (or indeed ââ?¬Ë?too militantââ?¬â?¢) for some.

What they do give though is genuine independent and democratic representation for Rangers fans. So much so, that the club now meets with them ahead of their own Assembly which simply doesnââ?¬â?¢t offer the same wide-ranging and positive resources of the Trust. The unique ââ?¬Ë?GerSaveââ?¬â?¢ initiative provides one way of raising new money for the club and has been backed by many fans and ex-players already.

To conclude I think it is time the fans use the RST to channel their frustration while we find and fix our problems. Unfortunately, until one man admits his part in said problems and actually attempts to address this, along with the fans, further division may not be far away. If that does happen, the manager and the players won�t be to blame and the spotlight will again return to the top of the tree.

I think it's about time i read more into this GerSaver scheme. I have been thinking about it for sometime but as of yet have done nothing about it.My husband thinks it's just a scam from Murray to get the fans to put money into the club which understandly he not willing to do.

Frankie can you put the link up for me for the RST website to i have a look at this and go over it for myself please.If i like what i see i will just go for it.

:thup:

I think it's about time i read more into this GerSaver scheme. I have been thinking about it for sometime but as of yet have done nothing about it.My husband thinks it's just a scam from Murray to get the fans to put money into the club which understandly he not willing to do.

Frankie can you put the link up for me for the RST website to i have a look at this and go over it for myself please.If i like what i see i will just go for it.

google it u lazy bugger....:D:thup:

as always frankie spot on....

Del.