Cowdenbeath statement 4/7/12

Club Statement

Posted July 4, 2012

Due to speculation surrounding the issue of â??Rangersâ? and its possible admission to the SFL, the Board of Cowdenbeath FC wishes to clarify the following.

At the regular monthly Board Meeting held on Monday 2nd July 2012, the Board of Cowdenbeath resolved that it would support any application made by â??Rangersâ? to join the SFL. It would not support any attempt to admit â??Rangersâ? into the First Division of the SFL.

Today, â??Rangersâ? have been excluded from the SPL.

At an Emergency Board Meeting held at Central Park tonight (4th July 2012) the Board again considered the matter.

The Board decided that it would support any application by â??Rangersâ? to join the SFL but would vote against the present proposal which, amongst other matters, would admit â??Rangersâ? directly into the First Division of the SFL.

This decision has been taken in the interests of football and the best interests of Cowdenbeath FC.

A Board spokesman said â??If integrity in our game is to survive, then Rangers must start off SFL life in the Third Division. This is an SPL problem but the Clubs of that league have taken their decision for reasons which they must explain to all Scottish football supporters. The SPL and SFA should have resolved this long before now. They have tried to pass the buck to the SFL clubs and have tried to force them to accept â??Rangersâ? into the First Division â?? to provide the greatest benefit to the SPL. This lacks any integrity and casts a dark shadow over our game. Cowdenbeath FC condemns this approach. The Board is in no doubt that our stance is consistent with integrity and the long term financial future of our Club. We ask all supporters of what ever Club, who share our views, to rally round and back us in the Season aheadâ?.

Chairman Donald Findlay added â?? â??Speaking for myself, and myself alone, it is clear to me that people at the highest levels of our game have tried to hold a gun to my head and the heads of my colleagues. That will never work. But I have a long memory and will not forget what they tried to do and the way they tried to bend me, and this Club, to their will. That will never be allowed to happenâ?

http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewNews&id=1075

I'm getting really worried now. I can't for the life of me understand why so many of our fans want us to start in Div. 3 knowing it could spell the end of several SPL clubs. It can only be for the reason that we want to see Scottish football stuffed as some kind of revenge. Yes, I appreciate that the integrity of the SFL means that a club cannot parachute straight in at the top - that's their rules after all - but for our 'sins' banishment from the SPL should be sufficient punishment. And there has to be an exception made: you'd think that the likes of P. Thistle would welcome the extra revenue we bring.

If in 2-3 years half the SPL clubs are in liquidation then how does that profit us with no one to play? Forget the English leagues - it aint going to happen. So why destroy our bread and butter for some fit of pique. It's crazy. Mutally assured destruction.

I would imagine it will be a no from each of the 3 clubs who are promoted by us going to division 3.

any club hoping for promotion from division One will say no.

any club in the 3rd bar the top 2 or so will say no.

most of the 2nd will be looking for a pay day and will say no.

I'm getting really worried now. I can't for the life of me understand why so many of our fans want us to start in Div. 3

I can't speak for the rest but I want to start in division 3 because it's the right thing to do.

It's also the only way I'll renew.

I'm getting really worried now. I can't for the life of me understand why so many of our fans want us to start in Div. 3 knowing it could spell the end of several SPL clubs. It can only be for the reason that we want to see Scottish football stuffed as some kind of revenge. Yes, I appreciate that the integrity of the SFL means that a club cannot parachute straight in at the top - that's their rules after all - but for our 'sins' banishment from the SPL should be sufficient punishment. And there has to be an exception made: you'd think that the likes of P. Thistle would welcome the extra revenue we bring.

If in 2-3 years half the SPL clubs are in liquidation then how does that profit us with no one to play? Forget the English leagues - it aint going to happen. So why destroy our bread and butter for some fit of pique. It's crazy. Mutally assured destruction.

The SFL would bring sanctions with it, sanctions which the Manager and CEO found unacceptable and if it included a transfer ban, are also unacceptable to me.

I have changed my mind about this almost daily. I would have liked SFL1 with sanctions in keeping with the rules and befitting the crime, but that is not an option.

The easy solution would have been to accept our application to the SPL and demote us in the name of "sporting integrity" but the irrational response of the rest of football fans, coupled with the bungling of the authorities, rendered this impossible. I will not be held responsible for their mistakes and certainly will not be to blame for the breakdown of Scottish society, an argument which could just as easily have been used by the SFA/SPL in their decision making today.

It is clear from these events that Scottish society is broken and I am shocked and horrified by this because my "hatred" of one or two teams ended with the final whistle or a good post match rant. We had a financial collapse and have been little but onlookers as football tore itself apart.

The SFL would bring sanctions with it, sanctions which the Manager and CEO found unacceptable and if it included a transfer ban, are also unacceptable to me.

I have changed my mind about this almost daily. I would have liked SFL1 with sanctions in keeping with the rules and befitting the crime, but that is not an option.

The easy solution would have been to accept our application to the SPL and demote us in the name of "sporting integrity" but the irrational response of the rest of football fans, coupled with the bungling of the authorities, rendered this impossible. I will not be held responsible for their mistakes and certainly will not be to blame for the breakdown of Scottish society, an argument which could just as easily have been used by the SFA/SPL in their decision making today.

It is clear from these events that Scottish society is broken and I am shocked and horrified by this because my "hatred" of one or two teams ended with the final whistle or a good post match rant. We had a financial collapse and have been little but onlookers as football tore itself apart.

I agree with most of that but as things stand with the two leagues the SPL did not have the ability to demote us.

Personally don't really want to see clubs go down the admin/liquidation route. However some clubs have acted very bitter and if they go they go imo, they also wanted us out of the SPL and therefore only option is Div 3 they made the choice 10 said no so they can lie in the financial mess. No team should rely on 2-3 matches against us a year for their budgets, doesn't make sense.

Also seeing comments about 12-20 clubs going under because of this how is that even possible at best 10-12 clubs will struggle where did 20 come from?

Also the constant delays in decisions means we are probably going to have at best 2 weeks for a pre-season and a squad rebuild if allowed, shambolic treatment altogether.

Plus the fact our governing bodies have acted badly towards us means an even sour taste in my mouth. This past few months have alienated me towards football in general.

I agree with most of that but as things stand with the two leagues the SPL did not have the ability to demote us.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about that. That puts a different perspective on my understanding of the decision. Need to think again about the SFL thing then.