Great post from DTB , De Toekomst (the future)

Football doesn't exist in a vacuum, though. If you want all the good things the OP calls for, you'd have to change the way our society operates. If we had these great facilities in every Scottish town, it sadly all too inevitable that it will be burnt to the ground/covered in glass/shoddily built by pals of the council/used as a meeting place by neds/vandalised inside a fortnight.

Put simply, as a society we can't have these things.

Guest Dutchy

GovanAllan: The Dutch have won the European Championships, they've been in at least 2 world cup finals, with many more semi and quarter apperances.

We on the other hand never got out of the group stages when we did manage to qualify for the finals, now, we just can't even do that.

I'd be bouncing off the walls id Scotland could manage that, as well as their club successes in the CL and other past Euro compitions.

GovanAllan: The Dutch have won the European Championships, they've been in at least 2 world cup finals, with many more semi and quarter apperances.

We on the other hand never got out of the group stages when we did manage to qualify for the finals, now, we just can't even do that.

I'd be bouncing off the walls id Scotland could manage that, as well as their club successes in the CL and other past Euro compitions.

Missed my point mate, I'm not saying the Dutch system is wrong but is it the best out their, compared to Germany or Spain. My wee ones are using the Alax system at the moment who aren't even the best in Holland. I'm only asking why do we always look to the Dutch when we want an answer instead of looking to the actual powerhouses of world football.

We are so culturally removed from Holland that it might as well be on another planet rather than a few hundred miles across the North Sea. What works for them will not work here, we need to find our own system and style of play that works for us. One thing I would like to see Rangers adopt is that from U17's through to the first team we play in the same shape, whether that be a 4-5-1 that can be a 4-3-3 or any other formation that is both hard to beat beat and a threat going forward. The player should adapt to the system rather than the opposite which we have seen from Walter Smith and now McCoist, no more utility players and no more playing layers in three different positions within a few weeks.

We've got an opportunity to build an ethos from the ground up and stick to it. I know we don't have the squad to be picky about who plays where but I'm sure there will be 20 players at Auchenhowie every week who can be taught a system and be given time to adapt to it to make it a winning one. To hell with the National team, they will never get it together enough to improve anything. We're sliding down the rankings and will continue to do so.

Germany has over 80m people and Spain have almost 50m. They are both football countries and pretty much punch their weight. We just can't compete with the shear numbers.

We need to look at a smaller country who punches above their weight like Netherlands and Portugal who have 16.5m and 10.5m respectively. While they still have bigger numbers to choose from their populations are not so hugely different as the big five.

However, Portugal is skewed by being able to easily naturalise Brazilians - who are a football mad country with almost 200m people.

Denmark have a similar population to us and at least qualify regularly and so perhaps they are a better model to follow - however their club football is not exactly prestigious.

Australia have a population of about 22m and despite their national sport being Aussie only and the fact they are very diverse in their tastes in sport, they punch way above their weight in many of them - with the Olympics being a great example. They have sport ingrained in their culture and is highly nurtured by the state from school onwards with a Centre of Excellence. Despite football being something like the 6th sport after Aussie rules, rugby, cricket, basketball and swimming, they are still a good bit better than us.

Cal numbers shouldn't matter if you have the right system, for whatever reason we fail to produce the best players but for some reason all the best coaches come here to learn their trade.

So what happens when they finish here and go back home?