Great post from DTB , De Toekomst (the future)

The author of this is a poster called Vesper .

With Division 3 looking like the new home of Scotlands premier club, The Rangers, I got to thinking, how we as a club can use this cutting back of the crop, to it's fullest.

With many of our top guns away to seek employment else where, its not only left us with a less than bare squad, but we also have more kids than we do pros.. so what to do ?

Well, when thinking back to one of our big spending managers, Mr Dick Advocaat i began to look into a very famous academy from his native homeland, and that of course, is De Toekomst.. that's ( The Future ) to you an i, and although it's a bold statement from the off set, it perhaps is a good omen, or at the very least, a declaration of intent....

They name their complex the future, and get Rafael van der Vaart, we call ours Murray Park.....and get John Fleck...............

Being mindful of our finances, and new surroundings, i am aware that we might not be able to pull off everything on this article, but now is as good a time as any, in respect of getting a plan drawn up.

The Future training camp of Ajax is state of the art, i mean, really.. it's well looked after and is the engine room of the Ajax machine... this here, seems to be in stark contrast to ours, which seems to be something of a side show... Now i know our top training complex is just that, a training complex... and not say, an academy...However, even with our training facilities, how many times over the years, have we moaned and groaned at the lack of basic skill throughout our team?

Before we can move onto a Academy it would be best i think to get the most out of what we already have... With our players having the tools, yet not displaying the product, then this can only mean, with respect, that our staff simply aren't good enough, or are so old school, the only thing they are interested in is strength and height.

So first up, Improvement of the training staff and perhaps a change in the training programme if these coaches are using out dated ways of development.

Scouting, Ajax take on youngsters from the age of 8, but already have their eyes on players as young as six....I believe our scouts, aren't even on the level of this kind of ability, so a re working of our scouting system is needed also...

Compared to the Dutch model, their attitude towards education seems to be different... They place an importance on a equalibrium between Footballing education and academic education..this not only ensures their young starlets have an option out with football, but as a whole, are a more complete person, rather than only being one who knows nothing but football...

Would it be too much to have an education system built into the Rangers... or would we just tell them to stick in at school and then pick them up later... In Holland, under their Education, strict rules are put in place to their young students, with regulations on bling, funky hair styles and mobile phones and the like.... basically anything with a status attached to them, is frowned upon.

Whereas we lure in potential, pay them more money than they deserve let alone know what to do with, and even move the youngsters and their families out of trouble spots and into nicer areas......also, we had youth players owning sports cars who hadn't had their licence yet, and needed either mummy and daddy or their young Wag to drive them to training....there is a clear difference in approach to the development of youth between the Glasgow side and our Dutch Cousins...

Also, the Staff at Ajax, are not only Ex Players, but people who have played the highest levels and who know how to dance on the biggest stage.....our staff, seem to have more '' Rangers '' men in them, than actual coaches, if that makes sense...

With an understanding, that our youngsters today have no proper league in which to learn their trade, they often seek loan deals to clubs who's facilities are primitive, and although some may think it can act as a deterant, for them to be greatful for what they have, it can also halt the progress of the player with some good work being undone by the staff of lesser knowledge.

So is it now perhaps time, to improve and get the best out of our facilities, and plant the seeds to a new culture at Rangers ?

With a new philosophy that is geared to finding, developing and show casing the latest and hottest in footballing talent, perhaps we will never have to have our doors darkened by the shadowy figures who racked up the debt of our club with careless spending again...

With the governing bodies doing little to help matters, i think there is an opening for our club to take heart in the likes of Hutton and Adam. To use this as an oppertunity to change the culture at Ibrox..one where we don't hound our young like the two mentioned above, but encourage them and watch them grow into Rangers players we can be proud of... instead of handing them everything on a plate, and watch them turn their coats at the earliest chance.

I know such a plan would cost money, and maybe money we don't have, but the existence of our top training complex, is the hardest part.... the rest, in terms of staff, medical personel and scouts with teachers along with a bit of soul searching and a change in attitude from us, is meerely a matter of sound management...

Why waste money on the likes of davis...why stress over the problem that is wages...why compete with the EPL on that level, when we can produce our own... have them come to us, and not the other way around... it can be done, but it takes time and management...now, being away from the SPL gives us time, so hopefully we can build a solid management team and system to put the foundations of a new era into play.

I know this may sound very dream like, but i can't help but feel the dissapointment of the thought of our team just building a Div3 dream team, winning the league, discarding the players then build a div 2 dream team, and just drain players from other clubs, just so we can get back into the spl... i believe there is a real chance here, to set a very real solution to our problems in motion.

As the governing bodies can't be trusted to butter toast, then i think once again, it falls in the hands of Scotland's premier club, to lead the way in youth and player development.

By the time we return to our kingdom, we will have shared and spread the wealth of The Rangers throughout the lower leagues, allowing them to prosper, and loosen their ties..

Given credibility to the name '' sporting integrity '' with our time in the lower leagues,

and kick started a new era in youth development which will be better for everyone in the long run.....

In such a time, we'll have achieved and put more into the Scottish game than Regan and Doncaster could ever dream about doing themselves.

we may never have the likes of

Johan Cruyff, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, and Dennis Bergkamp spawn from Ibrox, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to achieve it.

Edited by rbr

Feynoord have been voted the best youth system in Holland for the third year running.

The difference between Scotland and Holland is not the professional system it is the grass roots system and how kids are taught from the 4 years to 18 years at amateur level that makes all the difference. At Prof level the system probably doesn't differ much but at amateur level Holland are light years in front.

Is their nothing the club can do to adress this , I really feel that if planned properly the next three years could set a foundation for the future , but only if the proper ground work is put in place .

We as a support have been moaning , with plenty of reason , at the lack of youth development , but one reason that was always thrown back at us was the fact that funds needed to be put constantly into the first team . We had some evry average players getting paid a fortune , even now there are stories of some of the youths being bought from amateur teams for silly money and being paid pretty well but are at best average , also the coaching leaves plenty to be desired at that level .

In Holland every small town has community sports facilities that are light years ahead of ours. These centres cater for the whole community with decent eating facilities, changing rooms etc and several grass and 3G pitches. In order to improve our youngsters, we need to pump money into grassroots facilities, which in our small towns are awful in most cases.

In Holland every small town has community sports facilities that are light years ahead of ours. These centres cater for the whole community with decent eating facilities, changing rooms etc and several grass and 3G pitches. In order to improve our youngsters, we need to pump money into grassroots facilities, which in our small towns are awful in most cases.

Yes it is mostly the gravel of Glasgow or the Sheepshite grass of the surrounding villages.:)

Guest Dutchy

I've been banging on about this for ages. The Dutch is system is almost perfect as the teams at 4e, 5e, and 6e class get a small gratuity if a proffessional club takes them on, with the stipulation that that money can only be used to bring on more youths.

Which I see in the town I visit as some of the older players taking training sessions for kids. A bit like whats done here in Scotland, but more organized and certainly less haphazard.

With our players having the tools, yet not displaying the product, then this can only mean, with respect, that our staff simply aren't good enough, or are so old school, the only thing they are interested in is strength and height.

Good article but I would have to say that several of our graduates would beg to differ on this point. Burke and Fleck immediately spring to mind while the likes of Ness, McCabe, Wilson, Wylde etc are hardly what you would describe as hulk-like. Also, the likes of Rijkaard, Bergkamp and Kluivert weren't exactly pint-sized.

Can I ask why we always want to be like the Dutch system? They win nothing in world football can we not be like the German system they've been churning out top players and great teams for years.

The facilities in Scotland are improving almost every town in the central belt will have a 3/4g pitch mostly because the Blaze/Gruss pitches we all remember them right, are illegal now and the kids aren't allowed to play or train on them. And believe it or not the council don't want you playing on the grass pitches during the summer and your not allowed to train on most of them.