No Sky coverage of Scottish football?

viewing figures for normal celtc games are poor. for non celtc games they are abysmal. the spl will have little appeal without the of games.

Is that because the average Hooped Horror watches in a pub or via an illegal stream on the internet?

While looking up the coercion/blackmail definition on Wiki, I came across this, which is an interesting reminder of how grossly inept SPL chairmen have been historically. Obviously at present they're attempting to better their previous depths of chronic incompetence.

Between season 1998â??99 and season 2001â??02, exclusive television rights for live Scottish Premier League matches were held by Sky Sports, with a highlights package both held by BBC Scotland's Sportscene and STV's Scotsport. After Sky Sports withdrew their interest in the SPL when their offer for £45m to continue ownership of the live TV rights were declined by the SPL on the grounds of not being substantial enough, discussions began in 2002 for a new pay-per-view satellite television channel, dubbed "SPL TV". Discussions broke down in April 2002, however, when the Old Firm clubs, Rangers and Celtic, utilised the 11â??1 voting system to veto the proposals. This caused discontent among the remaining 10 SPL clubs who subsequently announced their intention to resign from the league.

Despite a two-year television deal being agreed with BBC Scotland in July 2002 (for a significant amount less than the money previously offered by Sky Sports), the 10 non-Old Firm clubs confirmed their resignation from the SPL in August 2002, citing discontent with the league's 11â??1 voting procedure which effectively gave the Old Firm clubs a veto over attempts to change SPL rules. The ten clubs withdrew their resignations in January 2003 after an agreement was reached to change the voting procedures and to change the distribution of TV revenue.

With BBC Scotland's television contract due to expire after the 2003â??04 season, the SPL agreed a new television deal with Irish broadcaster Setanta Sports in February 2004 in a four-year deal worth £54m. In June 2008, it was announced that a further four-year deal would commence for the 2010/11 season, with the deal worth £125m.

Setanta lost the rights to show live SPL games in the United Kingdom as they were unable to pay the £3 million they owed to the SPL. The SPL then agreed a deal with ESPN and Sky Sports worth £13 million per season to the clubs. This is comparable to the deal which Setanta previously had in place, but it was around half of the amount that Setanta would have been paying from 2010. The Old Firm criticised the decision of nine of the other SPL clubs to accept that offer from Setanta, instead of taking an alternative package from Sky that would have been worth significantly more than the deal signed after Setanta went into administration.

In 2009, Sky and ESPN agreed a five-year deal with the SPL where they would pay a total of £65m for the rights to show 30 matches each per season. In November 2011, it was announced that a five-year extension to the contract would take place starting from the 2012-13 season. This would see an increase in the total amount paid from £65m to £80m over the five years.

BBC Scotland's Sportscene currently own the rights to broadcast highlights of each game first on terrestrial TV. The BBC also holds the rights to show on-line internet highlights to UK users for one week after each game. BBC Alba, launched in September 2008, show one full SPL game every Saturday evening for two seasons. The games are broadcast three hours after the game has ended. The SPL is broadcast in Australia by Setanta Sports Australia, in Canada by Sportsnet World and in the USA by Fox Soccer Channel & Fox Soccer Plus.

.....BBC Scotland's Sportscene currently own the rights to broadcast highlights of each game first on terrestrial TV. The BBC also holds the rights to show on-line internet highlights to UK users for one week after each game. [/i]

Hands up those who'll be watching Sportscene this season?

Guest Dutchy
i for one dont think for one second think that sky need or want scottish football now that there will be no old firm matches for a time being i can see them not renewing the contract .

There could be a misinterption of 'wants and needs' there!

Who actually wants to pay a fortune to wach Scottish football in the first place? No many by the size of the crowds at SPL games and the rest, but not that many more given the lack of OF matches now.

I know I wanted to see Scottish football, even games not involing the OF, but pubs are more interested in watching ELP games than SPL games, while claiming it's OF fans that don't want to see the other teams that have a TVised game. Bunch of arseholes in my opinion.

Enough is enough!

Back to my post on coercion/blackmail (#9).

I note that M. Murray's recent statement made mention of "under duress."

Given that in law, "coercion is codified as the duress crime", am I reading too much into his statement, or is it just a coincidence?

Back to my post on coercion/blackmail (#9).

I note that M. Murray's recent statement made mention of "under duress."

Given that in law, "coercion is codified as the duress crime", am I reading too much into his statement, or is it just a coincidence?

I wondered about that too....future court case?

i for one dont think for one second think that sky need or want scottish football now that there will be no old firm matches for a time being i can see them not renewing the contract .

Wahay! Football back on terrestrial!