Our TV dealâ??s in the bag

Doesn't look like the SPL is losing out much at all :(

that was never on the cards, the doomsday scenario was a rangers fans wet dream, the power and draw of celtic meant the spl was always safe sadly

Edited by kuznetsov

Let's wait til we see the detail of this contract. It's for 30 live SKY games per season, five of which were Rangers in Div3 ? just 25 SPL games per season ? can't see them paying anywhere like the current figure of £13m for that. Last season's contract was for how many games ?

I think there may well be a clause in this new contract stating we must be in top division next season or something like that. That would be after league restructuring ( god help us if Regan & Dumbcaster are doing it)

ESPN is the interesting wild card. Wonder what they will offer.

I certainly won't be paying for SKY to watch 5 games a season.

And probably won't be paying for ESPN either, given what appears to be a stitch up.

You get the deal if you keep Rangers.

Rangers get 1/30 of peanuts.

However, let's see how it pans out first.

I am sorry to tell you that it is not even 1/30th of peanuts because the bulk of the money approx £1M of the £2M goes to the SFL1.

Third division teams get £50,000 per season at present out of the £2 milion that goes from the SPL to the SFL.

(Unless Rangers have been able to do a special deal, which I very much doubt.)

Lawwell is on the Board of the SPL (and shortly will be on the main Board of the SFA) and it is predominately the SPL's TV deal, so like it or not he has every right to be there.

I thought it was Riley on the SPL and Lawell was with the SFA, in what capacity, I don't know!

Almost certainly Lawwell will take Ralph Topping's place as the PGB's appointee on the full SFA Board.

If it's already happened it's not on the SFA site:

The main Board consists of seven members: the Office Bearers (Stewart Regan, Chief Executive; Campbell Ogilvie, President; Alan McRae, First Vice-President, and Rod Petrie, Second Vice-President), plus Ralph Topping (SPL) [resigned in May], Tom Johnston (Junior FA) and Barrie Jackson, the Scottish FA’s first-ever independent non-executive director.

Professional Game Board:

Chairman: Rod Petrie (Scottish FA)

Members: Jim Ballantyne (SFL), Neil Doncaster (SPL), Peter Lawwell (SPL), David Longmuir (SFL), Alan McRae (Scottish FA), Campbell Ogilvie (Scottish FA), Stewart Regan (Scottish FA), Sandy Stables (SHFL) and Ralph Topping (SPL).

that was never on the cards, the doomsday scenario was a rangers fans wet dream, the power and draw of celtic meant the spl was always safe sadly

The what? A single horse race bathed in mediocrity? Sure the doosmday scenario was a bit optimistic, but the "power and the draw" of Celtic alone to keep the SPL tv deal safe is stretching it. If anything, the draw of their potential CL games might be tempting for Sky et al, but who knows whether that is a different package altogether.

The what? A single horse race bathed in mediocrity? Sure the doosmday scenario was a bit optimistic, but the "power and the draw" of Celtic alone to keep the SPL tv deal safe is stretching it. If anything, the draw of their potential CL games might be tempting for Sky et al, but who knows whether that is a different package altogether.

DB you're assuming that Septic will make the Champions League. That's a big assumption and one I hope proves to be wrong.

DB you're assuming that Septic will make the Champions League. That's a big assumption and one I hope proves to be wrong.

Nope, I assume nothing. I was refering to Sky being possibly tempted by the Hooped Horrors "potential" CL games. ;) Potential in a way that see them win the next 2 or 3 titles and thus have entry into the CL qualifiers at minimum (and hopefully maximum).