Lucrative English football league could be opening up for Rangers

On a sidenote, "Rangers Football Club plc" (soon to be RFC2012 Limited) is AFAIK still a member of the (English) FA and now that it has no association to play in, could actually apply for playing there without any problems for Sevco Scotland Limited / Rangers Football Club Limited. They just need a place and a football team to play there, but GDS has his Arabian backers at the ready (;)).

Guest Dutchy

England is not the solution to our present problems. You'd think that nobody's been watching what's been going on at our club for the last few seasons. Paying big money to players, and trying to attrach them by chasing that money has got many established English clubs into financial trouble as well. What makes you think we won't just get ourselves into more trouble.

We're a Scottish club, let's just cope with that fact and get our team into regular CL football. surely we have to earn our income?

I get the impression now that if a team with few fans and a tiny stadium that meets the safety standards, gains entry to the EPL, they could be competitive and stay there as long as they are well managed.

Teams get and average of over £50m from Sky which could make gate receipts almost irrelevant once you take off the maintenance costs of the stadium as well as security and policing etc. Of course you'll also attract less advertising but if you're basic costs are minimal then you have say, £45m to spend on wages which is twice what we were paying.

With a good manager and scouts, you could easily be as competitive with any mid-table team downwards. This is why teams like Stoke, Bolton (now relegated) and Wigan can survive for so long and the likes of Swansea can immediately compete well.

Outside the top ten, ending at Everton with 33k average, there is little advantage to having 25k over 18k average gate.

I'm not even sure the advantage some of the larger crowds are with Newcastle yo-yoing recently. It seems the longer you stay in the Premiership, the stronger you get from the TV money which also attracts bigger crowds. - unless you spend badly, perform badly for your investment or overspend.

I used to think of Sunderland as an unambitious second tier club which averaged about 18k at games and did very little. Now they average £40k and are the 7th most supported club in the country - from a population of 280k and a large local rival like Newcastle. You have to wonder why a city the size of Edinburgh with almost 500k people cannot compete with that and have two clubs which aggregate less than 30k support.

So I think being a Premiership mainstay is all about spending your TV money wisely and it shows why so many clubs actually break the bank trying to get there and compete in their first season. If we worked our way up their system, promotion to the top tier and staying there would being incredibly difficult, even with 50+k fans behind us - especially with a philosophy which avoids another chance of our oblivion.

However, if we don't go down that route, we'll end up in a cash poor, football backwater full of feuding hatred, only to stagnate for the rest of time.

Although I would admit to being no expert in technical legal matters, I'm not sure I think his argument stacks up.

By comparison, broadcasting tends to be restricted to territorial areas. There are exceptions: like Welsh clubs playing in England, you have the ability to pick up BBC channels in areas of the continent (ref: Pete)). Sky, the Beeb, and any other broadcaster are free to set up their own channels/networks in other territories providing they meet the licensing criteria of said territory. The Beeb, or whomever, cannot just decide they will move lock stock to another country because they think it will be more lucrative or if they fall out with their peers. And I can't imagine ITV saying that they are withdrawing from providing services to the UK and will instead begin broadcasting in France, whilst continuing to broadcast from London.

Now, I've come up with a half-hearted and probably (deeply) flawed reason why we can't move to London in the space of about 4 minutes. Imagine what a skilled barrister would do with a team of researchers seeking legal precedent?

I get the impression now that if a team with few fans and a tiny stadium that meets the safety standards, gains entry to the EPL, they could be competitive and stay there as long as they are well managed.

Teams get and average of over £50m from Sky which could make gate receipts almost irrelevant once you take off the maintenance costs of the stadium as well as security and policing etc. Of course you'll also attract less advertising but if you're basic costs are minimal then you have say, £45m to spend on wages which is twice what we were paying.

With a good manager and scouts, you could easily be as competitive with any mid-table team downwards. This is why teams like Stoke, Bolton (now relegated) and Wigan can survive for so long and the likes of Swansea can immediately compete well.

Outside the top ten, ending at Everton with 33k average, there is little advantage to having 25k over 18k average gate.

I'm not even sure the advantage some of the larger crowds are with Newcastle yo-yoing recently. It seems the longer you stay in the Premiership, the stronger you get from the TV money which also attracts bigger crowds. - unless you spend badly, perform badly for your investment or overspend.

I used to think of Sunderland as an unambitious second tier club which averaged about 18k at games and did very little. Now they average £40k and are the 7th most supported club in the country - from a population of 280k and a large local rival like Newcastle. You have to wonder why a city the size of Edinburgh with almost 500k people cannot compete with that and have two clubs which aggregate less than 30k support.

So I think being a Premiership mainstay is all about spending your TV money wisely and it shows why so many clubs actually break the bank trying to get there and compete in their first season. If we worked our way up their system, promotion to the top tier and staying there would being incredibly difficult, even with 50+k fans behind us - especially with a philosophy which avoids another chance of our oblivion.

However, if we don't go down that route, we'll end up in a cash poor, football backwater full of feuding hatred, only to stagnate for the rest of time.

Well, I suppose supporters are always free to transfer allegiance to a prosperous English team but most of us know that this is not really what it's all about, don't we?

I think that even considering this is disrespectful to the SFL, after the past few weeks.

That being said.. announcing that we are moving to England on the day that we win promotion from the first division would be an amazing feeling.

That would also be the ultimate revenge for the sections of our support that are insisting revenge is a must.

It could well satisfy that section of our support who imagine that revenge is sweet at any price but I, for one, would be very, very unhappy if the great team I have supported for over half a century were to move to England. It is, has been, and will be the greatest ever Scottish football team. The day it moves to England is the day it ceases to be RFC.

It could well satisfy that section of our support who imagine that revenge is sweet at any price but I, for one, would be very, very unhappy if the great team I have supported for over half a century were to move to England. It is, has been, and will be the greatest ever Scottish football team. The day it moves to England is the day it ceases to be RFC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem have the notion that Rangers would "move". They wouldn't move, we'd still play home games at Ibrox but our away games would change and would mostly be in England - just like two away games this season.

Rangers are the greatest ever Scottish football team and I doubt joining the FL would change that - Celtic would be bound to follow suit and possibly others and the Scottish league would resemble that of Wales.

Swansea are considered the current best Welsh team with Cardiff second. They are not considered lesser to the champions of Wales whom most people couldn't name, me included.

I fail to see how we'd cease to be RFC - we're RFC no matter who our opposition are. So are quite a few other teams that start with 'R'. I can't see a single reason why that would change.

Football evolves and no-one would have guessed we'd be the the third division in Scotland but it doesn't change who we are, it's just part of our journey through time.