Rangers refuse Clyde tickets

It would not be for the good of the game to compound the problems of a club by refusing entry to the SFL for Rangers Football Club. We will therefore take that leap of faith and vote in favour of Resolution 1 despite not a single word of reasoning having been provided to support the Resolution.clyde fc

13 july 2012

Club Statement: Voting Intentions

Fri, 13th Jul 2012 9:14am

The proposals to change the league structure, its governance and distribution model are indeed for the good of the game. What is not for the good of the game are the circumstances in which it has been proposed. It is only on the table for short-term financial reasons. Neil Doncaster told the SFL clubs that the SPL would not allow Rangers to join the Third Division as the loss of £16m would not be countenanced, he is also on record as having said that a 16 team league would cost £20m, therefore we can hardly have confidence that the focus on finance will allow these proposals to come to life.

What is also not for the good of the game is 30 clubs being asked to vote knowing that a vote for Resolution 1 has a very high chance of being ignored by the SFA attempting to avoid any suggestion of what they perceive to be a dereliction of their duty. Such statements undermine basic democracy. Equally, voting blind to admit an organisation who has no membership of the SFA at a time when there is no vacancy in the SFL is not for the good of the game. Almost everything about this long run process is not for the good of the game.

It would not be for the good of the game to compound the problems of a club by refusing entry to the SFL for Rangers Football Club. We will therefore take that leap of faith and vote in favour of Resolution 1 despite not a single word of reasoning having been provided to support the Resolution.

On the basis that short-term financial drivers have not been for the good of the game in the past, then we will not support Resolution 2. It has unfortunately enmeshed positive change for the game with a proposal to admit Sevco Scotland Ltd to the First Division for the purposes of shoring up the short-term financial model which has to date failed The Game.

The interests of the game will be served by decisions being made genuinely for the long-term benefit of the whole of Scottish Football, and not short term benefit for a few clubs.

Our decision has at times had to defy logic and question our own short term interests as others focus on theirs. Given that the SPL and SFA have signalled a clear intention to act against any decision that might result in Sevco Scotland Ltd being admitted to the Third Division, then the limited logic left in this process points to them as believing they have the monopoly of wisdom on what is good for the game. We can expect that, no matter what the SFL clubs decide, Sevco Scotland will not be playing in the Third Division in the coming season. How more short-termism can be for the good of the game really does defy logic.

When the dust settles on this affair, it would be good to think that we can all get back to watching football. Sadly, no matter how it turns out today, some will not return to our game.

http://www.clydefc.co.uk/statement2.html

I just wondered what you meant. :D

Clyde are more non-Glasgow these days considering they moved to Cumbernauld.

Clyde were a Glasgow club when I was growing up ok they moved to Cumbernauld which was strange really.

Queens Park as far as I know owned Hampden and had a centuries old history which didn't relate to the present club.

Both clubs have a great Glasgow history but for different reasons they are pretty insignificant as far as they go. In short they are crap.

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT NEWS

The Rangers Supporters Assembly this week contacted Stranraer and Clyde FC to give them the opportunity to answer rumours that they were the club not to vote Rangers into the SFL. The response below is from Stranraer. We have yet to receive a response from Clyde FC.

Good evening Ross,

Please see below a m...essage from our vice chairman which I hope clarifies the position of Stranraer FC and will give you the information that you have requested to feeback to your members.

As a club we would be grateful to you to set the record straight on our behalf and that is most certainly that it was not Stranraer FC that voted to exclude The Rangers FC from admission to the SFL.

Our position was and remains that we would prefer to see an open election held in the event of any vacancy occurring to fill the available position and that should be at the lowest tier and that is how our statement, which mentioned no club by name was intended to be read.

Ideally we would have welcomed applicants from any interested party and that would have included Rangers. There is no doubt that in the summer of 2012, Rangers, with a 50,000 seater stadium, a dedicated training centre at Murray Park and a huge and loyal fan base would have presented the best case for election on that basis and we would have supported that bid.

As there was no election and a straightforward decision on whether to support the admission of Rangers into Division Three was all that was required essentially, our decision at board/committee level was clear and unanimous and we voted to support the admission of your club accordingly.

I trust that clarifies matters for you and thank you for your assistance in communicating this to your supporters, members and interested groups. Should you require any additonal information, we would be more than happy to provide it.

On a personal note, I well remember how I felt when my club stood on the brink of extinction in late 2008 and I fully understand the wide spectrum of conflicting emotions that Rangers supporters have experienced over the past 6 months or so. It is a situation that can't be covered by words alone and can't quite be understood until experienced first hand. I have no doubt that Rangers will rise back to their natural place in the top echelons of our game very quickly and will return there far stronger for this experience. I would like to wish your club, players, officals and most importantly, the supporters of Rangers all the very best for this season and beyond and hope that we get the opportunity to cross swords on the field of play once again in the near future.

Yours in Sport,

Shaun Niven

Committee Member

Stranraer FC