Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

7 million wage bill against joiners and bankers. winning is a gimme. winning runs are to be expected. top of the league is a minimum requirement. his cup record is embarassing and his tactics non existant. the squad was built to compete with the countries top sides. qos and inverness werent even that.he doesnt have a clue how to change things when they are not working. waiting until part time players tire to go on and beat them is not a tactic.

Don't think i am yet to see a positive post about Rangers from you.

In the first half we had umpteen chances to score, could easy have 3 or 4 on another day. I am not Ally's biggest fan tactics wise, but he can't be blamed for players not putting the ball in the net. Also we played Motherwell off the park at Ibrox and thats the best side we have faced this season.

Don't get me wrong the long punts are irritating, especially Alexanders but some of the play of McLeod, Mckay, Templeton and the movement of Little when played through the middle is very exciting for me.

Ally seemed very animated last night throughout the entire match. I dont know if he's just trying to look like he's doing something, but speaking from experience, it will probably just annoy the players, and isn't really much help to them once the game starts. It's hard to be too critical of him yet, because he hasn't really had the chance to build his own squad. Last year was Walters old team, and this year was a disaster, from a preperation and signing new players POV.

However, saying all that, I do worry about the type of tactics he uses at times, and his insistence of a big target man, and humping the long ball, especially at home against shite. We have some decent ball players at the club, and it's annoying to see them bypassed a lot of time with the big hump to kk or Sandaza. It might work in Scotland, from a results POV, but it pisses fans off, and will see you pumped from europe pronto.

not on here much then mate.

i notice you used the word could. we could have avoided liquidation had murray not sold to whyte. could eh, could. a useless expression.

ally signed they players. this is his team.

inverness are a better team than motherwell imo.

Edited by kuznetsov

The problem with our signings in the summer was more to do with quantity than quality. We don't have an inexhaustible supply of kids up to the standard we need. Usually you're lucky to get one or two graduates of your youth system into your first team but the 3rd division has allowed us quite a few more - something like 10 which is usually unheard of.

However, when you're playing five rookies at a time in every game and a couple more coming off the bench, you're hardly going to be Premiership or CL standard. There will be gaps in quality and quite a bit of inconsistency and some naivety against seasoned pros from a lower level. I still don't see how we can expect any kid from Murray Park to run rings round experienced pros off the bat.

We have a bit of a paradox where people say they would like youth to have a chance and would be patient but then get torn into the manager and team when they are winning 7 games in a row and scoring 27 goals in the process. People are actualy expecting a midfield of three rookies (with two teenagers) and a young up and coming player to highly dominate games and play exhibition stuff.

FFS give youth a chance!

Central defence seems to be a big problem with injuries and we need definitely reinforcements there.

The problem with our signings in the summer was more to do with quantity than quality. We don't have an inexhaustible supply of kids up to the standard we need. Usually you're lucky to get one or two graduates of your youth system into your first team but the 3rd division has allowed us quite a few more - something like 10 which is usually unheard of.

However, when you're playing five rookies at a time in every game and a couple more coming off the bench, you're hardly going to be Premiership or CL standard. There will be gaps in quality and quite a bit of inconsistency and some naivety against seasoned pros from a lower level. I still don't see how we can expect any kid from Murray Park to run rings round experienced pros off the bat.

We have a bit of a paradox where people say they would like youth to have a chance and would be patient but then get torn into the manager and team when they are winning 7 games in a row and scoring 27 goals in the process. People are actualy expecting a midfield of three rookies (with two teenagers) and a young up and coming player to highly dominate games and play exhibition stuff.

FFS give youth a chance!

Central defence seems to be a big problem with injuries and we need definitely reinforcements there.

You make some good points about our young players etc, and not expecting too much from them, but it doesn't excuse Ally from relying on the big hump up to kk or a Sandaza type player. It will win us games at this level, but as we move up, even div 1 teams are too wide for that tactic to consistently work. This is something that we could remedy now, when there isn't much pressure to get results, with the league being so easy. Annan last night were absolutely awful.

A 3-0,and by all accounts,comfortable win is one thing but going by the amount of complaints about the style of play we are being forced to watch it is not to most fans liking.

This constant thumping it up the park is getting boring to watch as it completely bypasses the teams engine room.

It won't be long before we see our midfield players at the chiropractor to get their sore necks worked on as they are constantly looking up in the air to see the ball soar high over their heads.

I realise we are in Div. 3 but dear God that does'nt mean you have to abandon playing the game from the back out and the constant thumping it up the park by Alexander can only mean it is with the Manager's approval.

Surely the way to bring on confidence in young players is to let them play with the ball at their feet.

Their centre half was 6ft5. The long ball was pointless tonight.

Thing is that if you read on here, any sort of clearance is being labelled "lump-up-front" old style garbage. If people would watch the game again and compare it to any other game in e.g. the EPL, they would actually note that it was hardly the main tactic of the day to lump the ball up to Sandaza et al. Most of the play went down the inside channels or via the wings last night.