Goian and Bocanegra international careers

RANGERSâ?? defenders Carlos Bocanegra and Dorin Goian have been dumped by USA and Romania respectively.

The Ibrox clubâ??s demotion to Scotlandâ??s bottom tier could have cost the pair their international careers, with both omitted from their countriesâ?? squads to play friendlies this week.

Romania manager Victor Piturca didnâ??t include Goian for their game with Slovenia and said: â??Goian has a big problem. Heâ??s with a team in the Scottish fourth division so of course I wonâ??t be picking him now.â?

But the 31-year-old stopper said: â??I understand perfectly but I will never say no to Romania. If the manager calls me, I will play.â?

Bocanegra missed USAâ??s friendly with Mexico and boss Jurgen Klinsmann said: â??For every game, we always look at who is in the best form, who is fit and who is ready to go.

â??We have a lot of veteran players and also some new, hungry guys who deserve a chance.â?

Ibrox team-mate Maurice Edu is a member of the USA squad.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/carlos-bocanegra-and-dorin-goian-have-been-1260038

Doesn't look good for either of them if they stay.

Doesn't look good for either of them if they stay.

They'll both have been expecting this. What they need to focus on though, is what their priorities are. In the case of Boca who's older, he's going to be lucky to get a pick for the USA squad even if he's playing for a club in a good league, so he needs to think long and hard about what he's doing. Personally, I think we should make his decision even harder by offering him a longer contract and giving him the opportunity to settle his young family for a few years. Tell Boca he's the club captain and offer him a new deal that takes him up to the age of 36.

They'll both have been expecting this. What they need to focus on though, is what their priorities are. In the case of Boca who's older, he's going to be lucky to get a pick for the USA squad even if he's playing for a club in a good league, so he needs to think long and hard about what he's doing. Personally, I think we should make his decision even harder by offering him a longer contract and giving him the opportunity to settle his young family for a few years. Tell Boca he's the club captain and offer him a new deal that takes him up to the age of 36.

True about Boca's age, but I think he'd still have expected Brazil 2014 to be a last hurrah if you like.

I'm grateful for how they've both gone about their business rather than running a mile from the off like some, but they need to make their minds up soon so we aren't scrambling around for replacements at the last minute.

As with Wallace, if a national coach comes out now and says that because they play for a fourth division team they are not included, they are plain stupid. Why? Because neither player has yet to taste anything like fourth division football at all this season. Essentially, right now there have been nothing more than a few firendly games, the season has not started in earnest ANYWHERE in Europe (bar the summer leagues). If they come up with this in three months time, or a year, fair enough. But neither of our international players suddenly had an utter drop in quality or standard because they look "forward to a season in a lower league".

As with Wallace, if a national coach comes out now and says that because they play for a fourth division team they are not included, they are plain stupid. Why? Because neither player has yet to taste anything like fourth division football at all this season. Essentially, right now there have been nothing more than a few firendly games, the season has not started in earnest ANYWHERE in Europe (bar the summer leagues). If they come up with this in three months time, or a year, fair enough. But neither of our international players suddenly had an utter drop in quality or standard because they look "forward to a season in a lower league".

100% correct. Levein is a grade 'A' clown