The Number 12 - jerseys

Rangers proclaimed last season that the No. 12 jerseys will no longer be used as a respect for the supporters. We have seen the No. 12 this season though and Andrew Dickson of Rangers Media just explained it again:

Andrew Dickson ‏@rfc_dickson

Surprises me there are still questions about the number 12 shirt. There are no squad numbers in the SFL & it's a requirement that it's used

So we'll probably wait till our next SPL season to bin the No. 12, if there still is a SPL ...

Makes a mockery of the decision, which I never agreed with in the first place.

Who made the decision anyway? Duff and Phelps? Are people really wanting the number to be retired due to a decision taken by Paul Clark and David Whitehouse?

Who made the decision anyway? Duff and Phelps? Are people really wanting the number to be retired due to a decision taken by Paul Clark and David Whitehouse?

couldn't agree more. it was pathetic grandstanding.

I think we might be being forced into using it at present but if so we should take that opportunity to forget the idea.

It's unclear who made the decision, but it was announced the same day that Duff & Phelps granted Bill Miller preferred bidder status. The idea probably didn't come from Clark and Whitehouse, it was probably just suggested to them by Ally or one of the guys leading the RFFF. Clark and Whitehouse may have asked Ally, others at the club or the head RFFF guys to come up with an idea that would say thanks to the fans and simultaneously help smooth/gloss over and distract slightly from the Bill Miller newco subject.

You really believe that? I'd imagine the decision came more from Sandy Jardine's side probably with Ally McCoist input.