The Number 12 - jerseys

No.12 jersey is retired for Rangers fans

Published on 3 May 2012

RANGERS have decided to retire the No.12 jersey in honour of their supporters for the backing they have shown the club during administration.

American Bill Miller is nearing a takeover of Rangers after being granted preferred bidder status by administrators Duff and Phelps today.

Supporters have set up a fighting fund to help raise cash to keep the club afloat during some of the darkest days in their history.

Manager Ally McCoist has been blown away by the backing the fans have shown towards their club during times of adversity and is delighted the club are retiring the No.12 jersey in recognition.

He said: "Supporters are often referred to as the 12th man and now more than ever we are seeing the incredible backing of our global fanbase doing all they can to help Rangers in difficult circumstances.

"To that end, we will pay tribute to our fans by retiring the No.12 jersey in their honour and dedicating it forever more to the supporters.

"I have been truly humbled by the way our fans have supported the club since we went into administration.

"To a man our support has been everything that we thought it would be and more, and they have shown an allegiance to the club, to the staff and the players which has been unequalled.

"It is clear our supporters will march with us to the ends of the earth and I would like to personally thank each and every one of them for their on-going loyalty and commitment to the club we all love."

It's not something we can question because there's no choice in the matter by the sounds of it. In the SFL you don't have player names on the back of the shirts and the numbers need to be used.

On top of that, with the No.12 jersey being given to such a promising young player like McKay, I think it's maybe a bit odd to question it. If it was a daft thing to have retired the No.12 jersey in the first place, so be it, but that's in the past now. Time to look forwards to the future!

I have to admit, I love seeing 1-11 and 12/14 coming off the bench. We can even resurrect the line ups in the programme the way they were in the 80s and 90s, with 1-11 across the top and whoever filled the shirt beneath. Retro!