Sports Direct Deal Confirmed

I'm genuinely interested as I've seen the quote a number of times from various posters. What does an airport store actually give other than 'good to look at on the way to wherever', and 'they've got one and it's annoying for travellers to always see their stuff but not ours'? Is there more to it than that that I'm not thinking about?

no, every big club should have one. barcelona have them all over spain, celtic have one at glasgow, i imagine some other clubs will have them. we want to be a big club, lets act like one. i think it is a brilliant move by the club.

it will noise up the tims to some tune and those in our support who said we dont need one so for that reason alone, i am happy, delighted in fact.

I think it would be nostalgic to see one again, but apart from that I don't see it doing a roaring trade. To say it will noise up our own supporters who said we don't need one is a bit off the mark. Do you genuinely believe any Bear looking at a Rangers shop will be annoyed? Doubt it mate.

I think it would be nostalgic to see one again, but apart from that I don't see it doing a roaring trade. To say it will noise up our own supporters who said we don't need one is a bit off the mark. Do you genuinely believe any Bear looking at a Rangers shop will be annoyed? Doubt it mate.

i dont know, it just comes across like that from some of the comments about it.

it will noise up the tims to some tune and those in our support who said we dont need one so for that reason alone, i am happy, delighted in fact.

Aye, cause that's what it's all about, noising up Tims and hand-wringers. How cares whether it's a good idea or not. Fuck me.

So just to clarify this then.... The Joint Venture or JV as they're calling it, essentially means that a chunk of our retail operation is now owned by Sports Direct. Is that right? If so, then how much are they paying for it? Where's the specifics, the actual details of the deal?

well my opinion is that its a decent looking deal. Bit concernered if earlier poster is correct that this is ashleys investment for his 10% or whatever.

Airport site is not so important . I used work for a group who had an airport site, and heavy lossmaker, hadto work in it myself once, and it was hellish.

I'm just glad to see us be able to control it more now... but is it really just ashleys that controling it ?

A shop in a particular location might not make a profit but as long as it doesn't make a huge loss it could have compensatory benefits, not least increased brand presence and awareness, as well as providing a convenient service to the fans.

Not everything needs to be directly profit driven - all advertising effectively makes a loss but potentially increases income, but there is also brand image and prestige that has nothing to do with profits - otherwise why have an expensive marble staircase or salubrious dressing rooms and offices, a well kept stadium etc?

A shop in a particular location might not make a profit but as long as it doesn't make a huge loss it could have compensatory benefits, not least increased brand presence and awareness, as well as providing a convenient service to the fans.

Not everything needs to be directly profit driven - all advertising effectively makes a loss but potentially increases income, but there is also brand image and prestige that has nothing to do with profits - otherwise why have an expensive marble staircase or salubrious dressing rooms and offices, a well kept stadium etc?

Hell of a lot cheaper and far more effective to get the kit into shops in airports everywhere rather than a loss making stand alone shop at Glasgow airport which would basically be an exercise in vanity.

Hell of a lot cheaper and far more effective to get the kit into shops in airports everywhere rather than a loss making stand alone shop at Glasgow airport which would basically be an exercise in vanity.

Sports Direct have a number of airport locations do they not ? Am sure they recently opened a new store at Gatwick for instance.