Chris Graham tears Alex "timmy" Thomson a new one , what a read

Was about to type the exact same thing. Why the hell should Glasgow have a memorial for something in another country ? Sure, many Irish came to our country, but does that mean that we should have shrines for Polish immigrants and their past problems ? Or any other immigrants for that matter.

Phil is a nutjob. Simples.

No, no, and thrice no.

Phil should have a nut job.

Why should Glasgow have a memorial for something that happened in another country to that countries people?

I agree Govan. I wasn't agreeing with the idea of a memorial. I was merely stating that if this "joker" was serious about this campaign for a memorial why not take issue with the city that you have a so called problem with. Instead, this little turd went over to the States and fired off his ammo at Glasgow, Scotland, Rangers and big bad Protestants from a safe distance.

I agree Govan. I wasn't agreeing with the idea of a memorial. I was merely stating that if this "joker" was serious about this campaign for a memorial why not take issue with the city that you have a so called problem with. Instead' date=' this little turd went over to the States and fired off his ammo at Glasgow, Scotland, Rangers and big bad Protestants from a safe distance.[/quote']

Playing to a captive audience over their I bet mate, 3rd & 4th Gen Irish who still think the IRA where humble freedom fighters against the big bad British Empire.

Playing to a captive audience over their I bet mate, 3rd & 4th Gen Irish who still think the IRA where humble freedom fighters against the big bad British Empire.

The thing that I genuinely hate about this joker is that he goes close to painting Glasgow as a medieval backwater, where catholics are being stoned in the street. Don't get me wrong, Glasgow is not perfect and has it's frictions/issues like any other city but this idiot uses his own experience as a benchmark for every other Irish Catholic in Glasgow. My wife is Irish Catholic (as is all her family) and have lived in Glasgow for decades and love it. They have nothing but positive things to say about the place and consider themselves "Glaswegians". They have experienced warmth from the people around them and opportunites that they would have never have in their parents homeland but guys like this won't be rushing to tell you about the countless Irish people who have good experiences of this country

Edited by Max Rebo's Big Blue Nose

Guest Lloret1972
Originally, he hail hails from Baillieston and was named Phil Gillivan. When he organised the Baillieston constituency SNP youth branch, he was Phil Gillivan.

I doubt he was from Baillieston I think that is part of the mist thrown over his past. I'm from Baillieston and neither me or anybody I've asked remember s such a person called Gillivan.

I doubt he was from Baillieston I think that is part of the mist thrown over his past. I'm from Baillieston and neither me or anybody I've asked remember s such a person called Gillivan.

The stuff about him running the SNP Youth branch in Baillieston is from his own biographical musings. He boasts that his branch were known as the SNP Provos. He was raised by his mother, his old man deserted the family and returned to the old sod. Perhaps he was known by his maw's maiden name? However, he did attend St Ambrose in Coatbridge; I believe Baillieston is part of said school's catchment area. He was known as Phil Gillivan at St Ambrose.

There is an 'Irish Famine Memorial' in Carfin in Lanarkshire. Personally I've no issues with calls for one in Glasgow, their are calls for a Holocaust Memorial among the Jewish community in Glasgow and I doubt any of us would say they shouldn't have one. The Irish Famine was a horrific event, an appalling example of mans inhumanity and propensity for evil, like the Highland Clearances. Remembering them is not a bad thing. Having a mature debate about it is something we should embrace, I imagine many of us were affected by the Irish Famine in one way or another if we were to trace it back. Certainly Glasgow as a city was there is no denying that.

Letting people like Phil whatshisname set the agenda though would be a huge mistake. The story of the Irish Famine has been skewed in recent years into straightforward Protestant and Catholics, as ever it was much more nuanced than that. Getting the truth taught is in our interests. The Irish are not our enemy, whatever the mental wing of the Celtic support might like to believe.