Pussy Riot 1 - 0 Football Fans

It's a good piece, but the problem is too complex to do justice in an article that size.

Yes, some people feign being offended in order to get others into bother. Some pretend to be offended because they're sheep and feel they ought to be offended.

But that doesn't mean everyone should be allowed to say and do anything they want. There is such a thing as offensive behaviour, and it has to be addressed and punished.

The simple rule-of-thumb for me is to keep football separate from the other stuff.

It's fine to hurl abuse at a player if they've cheated, or they're a traitor - e.g. footballing reasons, but (IMHO) it's not okay to slag them off for non-football related reasons (race, religion, nationality, orientation).

And when it comes to songs; I want to sing about football when I'm at a game. Nothing more.

Sorry if that sounds politically correct - it's intended to be politically neutral (like the game).

I used to stand at Ibrox and shout dogs abuse at The Celtic support and my wee mate who was in there, then get home and have a pint with him and talk football ( He wasn't a deluded one ). 90% of us have done the same, I saw nothing wrong with the so-called 90 minute bigot. Would I do it to someone's face in the street no and I wouldn't expect it done to me, but when your at a game it's not a personal in your face insult that's being thrown about and for me most of it was banter.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

It's a good piece, but the problem is too complex to do justice in an article that size.

Yes, some people feign being offended in order to get others into bother. Some pretend to be offended because they're sheep and feel they ought to be offended.

But that doesn't mean everyone should be allowed to say and do anything they want. There is such a thing as offensive behaviour, and it has to be addressed and punished.

The simple rule-of-thumb for me is to keep football separate from the other stuff.

It's fine to hurl abuse at a player if they've cheated, or they're a traitor - e.g. footballing reasons, but (IMHO) it's not okay to slag them off for non-football related reasons (race, religion, nationality, orientation).

And when it comes to songs; I want to sing about football when I'm at a game. Nothing more.

Sorry if that sounds politically correct - it's intended to be politically neutral (like the game).

I'd generally agree which is why he's written a book on the subject to cover the issue in depth... ;)

IMO, and again it's a very general one, the issue of sectarianism (or rather offensive behaviour) is greatly exaggerated by people who have something to gain out of maintaining the debate.

I used to stand at Ibrox and shout dogs abuse at The Celtic support and my wee mate who was in there, then get home and have a pint with him and talk football ( He wasn't a deluded one ). 90% of us have done the same, I saw nothing wrong with the so-called 90 minute bigot. Would I do it to someone's face in the street no and I wouldn't expect it done to me, but when your at a game it's not a personal in your face insult that's being thrown about and for me most of it was banter.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

You're right, of course.

I suppose, these days, the difference between the "90 minutes" and the rest of the week has blurred. There's so much TV coverage, and what isn't on telly ends up on youtube. Changed times...

The bottom line is that (for better or for worse) FIFA and UEFA are are determined to separate "politics" and football. There's no point in arguing the toss with either of those two.

Very good essay I reckon. I find it pretty sharp how Waiton points out that tolerance today means quite the opposite of what it actually means. It creates a bubble of tip- toeing and trying so hardly not to offend anyone that it's almost paralysing. The popular opinion at the moment seems to lean towards "I could insult somebody somewhere so Id rather do or say nothing at all". Unhealthy I believe. As Thinker said, I would consider football to be outside of that because after all it's game. What happens on the park and what happends on the stands as well. It's being bloated out of proportion.

I like the way he thinks, and also he is high profile enough for outsiders to read.

The only qualification I would put on his thinking, is that he would have his readers believe ALL football fans are threatened by these laws equally.

While I would say, the supporters of one Club in particular, are put under more spotlight than any other, and are therefore more prone to be arrested.

I like the way he thinks, and also he is high profile enough for outsiders to read.

The only qualification I would put on his thinking, is that he would have his readers believe ALL football fans are threatened by these laws equally.

While I would say, the supporters of one Club in particular, are put under more spotlight than any other, and are therefore more prone to be arrested.

Spot on mate, the only thing worse than bad laws is a bad law unfairly applied to just one section of society.