Pussy Riot 1 - 0 Football Fans

I like the way he thinks, and also he is high profile enough for outsiders to read.

The only qualification I would put on his thinking, is that he would have his readers believe ALL football fans are threatened by these laws equally.

While I would say, the supporters of one Club in particular, are put under more spotlight than any other, and are therefore more prone to be arrested.

It's a valid point (and one I've put to Dr Waiton before) but I guess it's important for him to remain neutral in a general sense.

One would hope that he looks into the application of the law over the next couple of years though.

A Rangers fan has admitted singing sectarian chants at the club's match at Brechin.

David Boyd was fined £500 but was not given a football banning order after he admitted singing the songs at Ramsdens Cup tie at Glebe Park on July 29.

He was heard to shout "f*** the Pope" and "****** b******s" at the club's match against the Second Division side.

It was the first time Rangers had played following the Sevco consortium's purchase of the club's assets from the 'oldoco', which has been consigned to liquidation, forcing the newco to start life in the Third Division.

Boyd was one of six men to appear at Forfar Sheriff Court on Wednesday. The other men denied the allegations against them.

He was caught after a police officer filming the crowd caught him on camera singing the offensive words.

Fiscal depute Lisa Anderson told the court: "At about 2.26pm handheld footage was obtained by a police sergeant. The accused was seen singing 'Follow follow we will follow Rangers'. He was caught singing 'f*** the Pope' and '****** b******s'.

"He was traced and personal details were noted and he was told the footage would be reviewed and if he was found to be singing offensive songs action would be taken."

Boyd, 25, of Charlotte Gardens, Aberdeen, pleaded guilty to a charge brought under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act.

Gregor Sim, defending, said Boyd, a construction salesman, "did not have any religious bigotry in him".

He said: "He has been a Rangers supporter for many years although has not attended as often in the last couple of seasons. He had been drinking on the day in question and the fervour of the occasion got the better of him."

Billy Brawley, 28, of Wheatland Avenue in South Lanarkshire's Blantyre and 28-year-old Andrew Callaghan of Blantyre's Kirkton Avenue denied singing sectarian chants at the game. Gordon McKillop, 28, of Largs' Main Street and Derek McCreadie, 22, of Seaview in Wigton, Newton Stewart, also pleaded not guilty to the charges.

They have been banned from attending matches ahead of their trials in November.

Gordon McLean, 31, of Thornliebank Road in Glasgow, also appeared and faced a charge of culpably and recklessly being in possession of a lit smoke canister "with utter disregard for the consequences".

It is alleged that he waved it in the air above the crowd at Glebe Park before launching it on the pitch. He was also banned from matches under the terms of his bail order ahead of trial.

Lawyers acting on their behalf, and McKillop, representing himself, said they would plead not guilty and asked for bail.

Sheriff Anderson told them: "You are being allowed bail on the special condition not to attend football matches Rangers are playing in."

Guest livi_true_blue
I used to stand at Ibrox and shout dogs abuse at The Celtic support and my wee mate who was in there, then get home and have a pint with him and talk football ( He wasn't a deluded one ). 90% of us have done the same, I saw nothing wrong with the so-called 90 minute bigot. Would I do it to someone's face in the street no and I wouldn't expect it done to me, but when your at a game it's not a personal in your face insult that's being thrown about and for me most of it was banter.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :(

I used to agree with all that, then I listened to something Jim Traynor said on Radio Scotland ( I know! ), he argued that if it was okay to be a "90 minute bigot" then it must also be okay to be a "90 minute racist"!

Would I go to a game and jeer black players, of course not, so how can I justify being a bigot for ninty minutes?

Still not worked it out!

I thought we had taken the correcting tags off such words, did we put them back on ?

Just spotted this Craig.

If I remember correctly, we had done away with the automatic bleeping of certain words, but were basically left with no alternative other than to revert back after the government introduced the new bills.