McCoist Hits Back At Critics

As soon as erratic behaviour of a football club's fans is related to football/ the club, it surely needs to take actions. And I think it's quite clear that bombs (or whatever it was in the end) sent to a Celtic gaffer by Rangers supporters are related to football. Whereas speeding is not.

But it was nothing to do with Rangers. They aren't employees. They are not under the club's control. I'm unsure as to whether they even attended games.

If a Rangers fan playing for Pollok Juniors runs into the crowd and assaults a Cumnock fan, should Rangers make a statement on that? It's football related. It's carried out by a Rangers fan.

But it was nothing to do with Rangers. They aren't employees. They are not under the club's control. I'm unsure as to whether they even attended games.

If a Rangers fan playing for Pollok Juniors runs into the crowd and assaults a Cumnock fan, should Rangers make a statement on that? It's football related. It's carried out by a Rangers fan.

Aye, the club should congratulate the Pollok player for doing so. And confirm their disappointment he didnt chib more than just the one :D

It is ambiguous at least, I must admit.

There will be plenty of instances of violent crime, or serious crime in general, perpetrated by the "supporter" of one club or another. I just dont see why the club should be denouncing the actions of a "supporter" that they have no control over. These muppets did all this from their own home.

I fail to see why the club should be apologising for something that was a) outwith their control and b) nothing to do with them other than these guys wearing the club colours.

I havent seen any other club make an apology for their supporters doing something they shouldnt when it is outside the remit of their responsibility. So I dont see why we should either.

Dont forget, the club making an apology is tantamount to the club saying it is their fault or, at the very least, on their watch. And that isnt right.

There will be plenty of instances of violent crime, or serious crime in general, perpetrated by the "supporter" of one club or another. I just dont see why the club should be denouncing the actions of a "supporter" that they have no control over. These muppets did all this from their own home.

I fail to see why the club should be apologising for something that was a) outwith their control and b) nothing to do with them other than these guys wearing the club colours.

I havent seen any other club make an apology for their supporters doing something they shouldnt when it is outside the remit of their responsibility. So I dont see why we should either.

Dont forget, the club making an apology is tantamount to the club saying it is their fault or, at the very least, on their watch. And that isnt right.

I'm finally going completely off topic here but there's a big discussion in Germany going on about this. As of now, Clubs face massive financial penalties including closed stands for home games due to misconduct of their fans. Thinking about it from that angle, to punish a club (or expect apology/ condemnation) for people who wear their colours is really going a bit overboard.

I'm finally going completely off topic here but there's a big discussion in Germany going on about this. As of now, Clubs face massive financial penalties including closed stands for home games due to misconduct of their fans. Thinking about it from that angle, to punish a club (or expect apology/ condemnation) for people who wear their colours is really going a bit overboard.

To take that analogy one step further.... what do you think will actually happen ? I would not be in the least bit surprised if Bayern fans went for a gang fight against Dortmund fans wearing Hamburg strips (ignore the clubs used in the example and think on the sentiment...).

I dont think Gers fans are quite this bad but it really would NOT surprise me to see Celtic fans going for a stramash with Aberdeen fans whilst wearing Rangers colours... who would be to blame for that ? Should Rangers make an apology ?

Nah, it isnt for me.

If, on the other hand, Rangers fans had a history of pitch invasion, lighter throwing, splitting officials heads open with coins, invading the pitch to confront opposing team's players, parade inappropriate banners, chant terrorist slogans or even perhaps throwing themselves off the top tier.... then perhaps we should be apologising for those type of incidents.... but those types of incidents are ones which should be controlled by the club because it is within their remit and responsibility given they are taking place on game day in and around the stadium.

I dont know of any club's fans who have carried out such acts.... or at least not any where the club themselves have appropriately apologised for such actions and taken proper action against the perpetrators..... and somesuch club, if any were to exist, dont seem to be negatively impacted by such inaction either.

To take that analogy one step further.... what do you think will actually happen ? I would not be in the least bit surprised if Bayern fans went for a gang fight against Dortmund fans wearing Hamburg strips (ignore the clubs used in the example and think on the sentiment...).

I dont think Gers fans are quite this bad but it really would NOT surprise me to see Celtic fans going for a stramash with Aberdeen fans whilst wearing Rangers colours... who would be to blame for that ? Should Rangers make an apology ?

Nah, it isnt for me.

If, on the other hand, Rangers fans had a history of pitch invasion, lighter throwing, splitting officials heads open with coins, invading the pitch to confront opposing team's players, parade inappropriate banners, chant terrorist slogans or even perhaps throwing themselves off the top tier.... then perhaps we should be apologising for those type of incidents.... but those types of incidents are ones which should be controlled by the club because it is within their remit and responsibility given they are taking place on game day in and around the stadium.

Good point mate and all I can say is I fully agree with that.