As a kid me and my mate regularly went along to the Albion training ground to watch Rangers train perched on the surrounding wall.

When 'Slim Jim' returned in '69 it was massive, the return of a Rangers great. One day in our usual position on top of the wall which surrounded the 'Albion' the ball came over from a wayward Kai Johansen blast at goal, my mate who went to retrieve the ball in the car park trapped it sublimely flicked it up and done a very impressive keepy-upy for a few seconds before Baxter came looking for the wayward Johansen effort.

My pal kicked the ball towards Jim but slightly mis-kicked it and the ball ended up in my hands, me graciously 'handed' the ball to Jim saying "there you are - here's the ball...The 'not so slim' Jim kicked the ball under a car and spent the next 5 minutes trying to retrieve it, we stood in amazement. True.

March 31st '62

While Rangers were beating Motherwell in the Semi-Final of the Scottish Cup at Hampden, Jim Baxter was playing for the British Army against the Belgium Army.

Jim was back for the Final to brush aside St Mirren in a one-sided 2-0 victory. Brand and Wilson were the scorers.

Alex Scott scored a hat trick in his first game against Falkirk at Ibrox 1954/55 season. Next week in a friendly at Highbury he scored both Rangers goals in a draw with the Arsenal.

Scot Symon did not have a reputation as a "tracksuit" coach but Alex Scott attributed his immediate success in part to the advice he got from the ref running alongside him at the Albion practice matches. The ref was in fact the manager.