Danny McGrain was knocked back by Rangers because of his name. Danny and his family were red hot Rangers supporters and his headmaster who was connected to Rangers got Rangers scouts to watch him. Danny was called up to Ibrox for talks but was later rejected and his family were informed it was because of his name. After he signed for Celtic his family became red hot Celtic supporters. This is not written anywhere but I know because my father played football with Danny's father and they were good friends who I also spoke to at family birthday parties. My father also worked with Danny's mother for several years. This was obviously from the McGrain point of view.

Danny McGrain was knocked back by Rangers because of his name. Danny and his family were red hot Rangers supporters and his headmaster who was connected to Rangers got Rangers scouts to watch him. Danny was called up to Ibrox for talks but was later rejected and his family were informed it was because of his name. After he signed for Celtic his family became red hot Celtic supporters. This is not written anywhere but I know because my father played football with Danny's father and they were good friends who I also spoke to at family birthday parties. My father also worked with Danny's mother for several years. This was obviously from the McGrain point of view.

sad but every word of this post is true

In the close season, during the summer of 1962, Rangers completed a three match tour of the Soviet Union - or Russia, as most folk called it in those days. Gers beat Moscow Locomotiv 3-1, then Tblisi Dynamo of Georgia, 1-0 before drawing with the Soviet Champions, Dynamo Kiev 1-1. This first ever, and unbeaten, tour really caught the imagination of the Scottish public. So much so that, when the Rangers plane landed at Renfrew Airport ( as it was in those days) thousands of fans there, to welcome them home, streamed on to the actual tarmac of the runway to greet the conquering heroes

Jim Christie was a coming man as the saying goes when he played for Ayr Utd. Rangers bought him for about £10,000. Two reasons he didn't play a lot of games - Maxie Murray and more importantly Jimmy Millar. Big McNeil must have had nightmares with Millar outjumping him for headers.

Famous Rangers supporters include chef Gordon Ramsey, Ultravox star Midge Ure, news presenter Kirsty Young, golfer Colin Montgomerie and actors Kenneth Branagh and Robert Carlyle

Not sure about all of these, but anyway.....

gordonramsey.jpgandyfordam.jpg alansmith.jpgnicknairn.jpgGordon Ramsey Andy Fordham Alan Smith Nick Nairn

robertcarlyle.jpgseanconnery.jpgdavidsneddon2.jpgrobbiefowler.jpg Robert Carlyle Sean Connery David Sneddon Robbie Fowler

kirstyyoung.jpgKennethBranagh.jpgcliveanderson.jpgarnoldpalmer.jpg Kirsty Young Kenneth Branagh Clive Anderson Arnold Palmer

alanmcghee.jpgwetwetwet.jpgianmccallum.jpgtravis.jpg Alan Mcghee Wet Wet Wet Ian Mccallum Travis

andycameron.jpgjonathanwatson.jpgcolinmontgomerie.jpgkennylogan.jpg Andy Cameron Jonathan Watson Colin Montgomerie Kenny Logan

midgeure.jpggaryplayer.jpgcarolsmillie.jpgjamieredknapp.jpgMidge Ure Gary Player Carol Smillie Jamie Redknapp

drewcarey.jpgryanmoloney.jpggraemedott.jpgmarcwarren.jpg Drew Carey Ryan Moloney Graeme Dott Marc Warren

acdc.jpgbillyboyd.jpgkenbruce.jpgjeffrandall.jpg AC/DC Billy Boyd Ken Bruce Jeff Randall

stonecoldth.jpg borat.jpgjohnsmeatonth.jpg franklampardth.jpg Stone Cold Borat John Smeaton Frank Lampard

amymcdonald.jpgalastairforsyth.jpgtinchysryder.jpgrongourlay.jpg Amy McDonald Alastair Forsyth Tinchy Stryder Ron Gourlay

simonneil.jpg Simon Neil

Rangers%201888-89.jpgIn 1872 Peter and Moses McNeill agreed with their friends, Peter Campbell and William McBeath to form a team that played two matches under the name of â??Rangersâ? after an English rugby club. In 1873 the club was formally constituted and their first fixture list drawn up. Their shirts were described as â??light blueâ? to distinguish them from the far more commonplace navy jerseys widely worn at the time. Later on, according to John Allan,

"When the late Mr. Angus Campbell was honorary secretary in 1879-80, jerseys with blue and white hoops were adopted. Matters had not been going too well with the team. Mr. Campbell felt his responsibility. He was a true Highlander with a liberal strain of superstition in his being. A change of colours might change the luck, so, at his suggestion, the old royal blue was packed away in the locker. Nobody was happy, however, until it was brought out again by a decree of a committee meeting of 1883. In royal blue the Rangers have played ever since."
crest-1881.gif