70% of our first team come from academy...

That's one of my biggest disappointments this season. I'd have loved to have seen us go with a team along the lines of:

Alexander

Cole Hegarty Perry Wallace

McKay McLeod Hutton Aird

Little McCulloch

We have lots of boys coming through, and had we given them the chance we'd have all got right behind them. Not that we haven't, but it was a great opportunity to develop more players.

By signing 7/8 experienced players we've taken that chance away from some, and I don't think the signings are all that much better. I also think that if we'd went with a 'youth' team that the support would be much more sympathetic to away draws as we'd understand the development process we are in.

That's one of my biggest disappointments this season. I'd have loved to have seen us go with a team along the lines of:

Alexander

Cole Hegarty Perry Wallace

McKay McLeod Hutton Aird

Little McCulloch

We have lots of boys coming through, and had we given them the chance we'd have all got right behind them. Not that we haven't, but it was a great opportunity to develop more players.

By signing 7/8 experienced players we've taken that chance away from some, and I don't think the signings are all that much better. I also think that if we'd went with a 'youth' team that the support would be much more sympathetic to away draws as we'd understand the development process we are in.

On the other hand, considering this is a long term thing is it not better to get off to a good start and have the team sitting top of the leage with a good blend of experience and youth and bring the younger ones in gradually over the season, so by maybe half way through next season we are starting to see the development taking shape.

There would be no guarantee the youngsters would get us promoted straight away. There is no guarantee the current side will but id say it is far more likely.

it should have been our future 20 years ago. first we need the right coaches in place which we dont have. then we need players with the right attitude which i would argue we also dont have. and a manager willing to play them, which given the circumstances of the club, we currently do have, his quality aside.

we have yet again wasted money on guys like cribari, kyle, sandaza, black etc when we should really have been more clever about things. less wages, hungrier younger players with bigger sell on values.

Read the whole piece and it's something we need to seriously be looking at. It's the only way forward bigger clubs in smaller leagues will be able to compete in the highest level in Europe. The sooner everyone at the club realises that and puts in a proper scouting network in place the better. We have three years to get it right - lets make sure its right before we get back to playing football in Europe.

Just in case you missed it Ajax beat Man City in the Champions League tonight, their starting 11 cost a combined total of €4.4 million (about £3.5 mil) and seven players came through their academy. Ajax are still a long way off winning the tournament again I think but they seem to be going in the correct direction.

We should take note.

Just in case you missed it Ajax beat Man City in the Champions League tonight, their starting 11 cost a combined total of €4.4 million (about £3.5 mil) and seven players came through their academy. Ajax are still a long way off winning the tournament again I think but they seem to be going in the correct direction.

We should take note.

Some sarcastic remark on this (while turning the argument on its head) would be: money can't not always buy you success. Nor do grand players and grand managers guarantee you that. Would like to hear the arguments thrown about on the Man City boards this evening, probably not all too dissimilar to what is written here on occasion.

We should take note.

This could've been started 8 weeks ago if we started from scratch at Auchenhowie, but I fear nothing will be done we will stumble our way back to the top of Scottish football eventually, only to find ourselves in the same place we where before in the same state.

It's enough to make you pull your hair out in frustration. :brick:

On a sidenote ... our academy influx is not exactly bad these days either, enforced or otherwise. Then again, bar one or two, neither would have made anything more than the bench had we still last season's first team squad.

RANGERS: Alexander; Faure, Perry, Cribari, Wallace; Argyriou (McKay 67), Black (Naismith 85), Macleod, Aird (Kyle 71); Shiels, McCulloch.

SUBS: Gallacher, Crawford.

RANGERS (4-3-3): Alexander; Faure, Emilson, Perry, Wallace; Hutton, Black, Macleod; Shiels (McKay 82), McCulloch, Aird (Little 54)

Subs: Gallacher, Argyriou, Kyle