Vanguard Bears - just who are they?

Being proud to be protestant may not be a crime but it is an oxymoron. In the protestant religion pride is considered a sin. You'd think that people who profess to be protestant would know that... Have they never heard of a British cultural saying that pride comes before a fall? But the question is: why are they using a football club to further their own self serving agenda at the expense of the rest of that club's support? What gives them the right to do that?

I think there is lots of religious and political crap at one Scottish club that I find pretty sickening and it saddens me that some people want to attach similar baggage to my club.

I found the logo on their banner bring about a sense of nostalgia from my misspent youth.

We used to write graffiti about our "gang" in a similar fashion.

"Hated but rated", "kick to kill" etc.

Wonder what the VB's will come up with next?

I think VB do a decent job at times but it's a shame they, and others, can't move on from concentrating on other people they don't get on with.

The opening article was a good one even if it's positive message what somewhat reduced by more gratuitous negativity about FF and MD.

Didn't look to clever whilst we were being raped by Whyte.

Neither did FF, apart from "stopped clock" DylanGer and "Private Fraser" Deedle.

Irrespective of VB's unwillingness to condemn White, at least they didn't vacillate from launching smear campaigns against potential purchasers to lifting their skirts for them like the FF/RST did throughout the bid process. Who can forget their twister-like contortions, eg:

"It's TBK for us. Paul Murray reduced the debt, you know. They want a Hibby running the club - you couldn't make it up. What's that? Kennedy has joined TBK? Err, welcome Brian, great to have you on board. No, hold on, we want Walter. In Walter we trust, Green's bid is dead in the water. Walter's out? OK, Bomber then. He's backed by T@igs? No problem; anyone but Green. Oh, Green's going nowhere? Err, Charles, can we talk?"

Anyone connected to FF having a pop at VB over Craig White is about as credible as George Entwistle/Mark Thompson's, "I knew nothing" defence.

I can't bring myself to fully approve of VB, mostly because I'm not a Protestant or a Loyalist but I am a Unionist and so I think they have a legitimate place in our multi-faceted support. We're a huge fanbase and as with any large group (100's of 1000's of people) there are bound to be sub groups who share the same views and beliefs and unite under that ideology. It's unrealistic to think that we can purge all political and religious unpleasantness from our club and in the same way it's unrealistic to think that Celtic can do the same.

The difference between the two sets of fans is that Rangers supports (on the whole) want to separate football from politics and religion. Celtic fans feel differently and actively defend and promote their political viewpoint as an integral part of what Celtic Football Club means to them, they also wish to deny that platform to their bitter rivals. This is where I think groups like Vanguard Bears come in and so in a kind of perverse logic I agree that our traditions need defending. If it upsets some people then so be it.

I think they're a great bunch and something Rangers as a support have needed for decades.

It's human nature that we do t all like the same thing. If you don't like the VB's that's fair enough, but one things for sure, they're not going away.

Until a song is outlawed then IMO its allowed to be sung like the Billy Boys was, which we all know was the best song ever to get the crowd going at Ibrox, yet the cry babies got their way and got it banned.

Ibrox has been a morgues once about 1991 anyway, so the advent of the VB's, Union Bears and the whole Blue order, Broomie front mad squad is a welcome addition to Ibrox for me.

The only qualm/complaint I have is them letting off smoke bombs at away ground. This is going to get someone hurt as smoke causes panic no matter what anyone says

I have no idea who you are implying to here but I think the tims had a big part of that and I think they will be laughing rather than crying. If you are implying it was a part of the Rangers support that are being discussed in other posts then I would say you are wrong.

Being proud to be protestant may not be a crime but it is an oxymoron. In the protestant religion pride is considered a sin. You'd think that people who profess to be protestant would know that... Have they never heard of a British cultural saying that pride comes before a fall? But the question is: why are they using a football club to further their own self serving agenda at the expense of the rest of that club's support? What gives them the right to do that?

I think there is lots of religious and political crap at one Scottish club that I find pretty sickening and it saddens me that some people want to attach similar baggage to my club.

Straight out of the fire and brimstone of the Auld Testament, I just see the auld minister banging away from his pulpit on a Sunday.

I have no idea who you are implying to here but I think the tims had a big part of that and I think they will be laughing rather than crying. If you are implying it was a part of the Rangers support that are being discussed in other posts then I would say you are wrong.

I used the word "cry babies" to describe CFC fans. I know Rangers fans had zero to do with it although I've no doubt one or two would have been happy to see it abolished such is the way people are.

I used the word "cry babies" to describe CFC fans. I know Rangers fans had zero to do with it although I've no doubt one or two would have been happy to see it abolished such is the way people are.

Easily the biggest capitulation by any support ever seen in football, we should've fought tooth and nail to keep TBB's, all it needed was a one word change.