Dundee hibs response

Dundee United 'won't dignify' Rangers' statement with response

STV 5 December 2012 13:07 GMT

Rangers will not take tickets for their fans ahead of the game at Tannadice.SNS Group

Dundee United have said that they are "disappointed" with Rangers' decision to refuse tickets for the Scottish Cup match between the sides and say they won't dignify Ibrox chief executive Charles Green's statement with a response.

Rangers confirmed on Tuesday that, following a similar announcement by supporters groups, they would not take a ticket allocation for the tie and appealing to Rangers fans to boycott the match.

The decision was as a result of the SPL decision not to admit Rangers to the league and also relates to a ticketing issue following an abandoned match at Tannadice in 2009. Green said: "Everyone at this club is dismayed at the actions of certain SPL clubs, which were actively engaged in trying to harm Rangers when we were in a perilous situation and we are acutely aware of their attitude to us."

United have announced that they will be seeking clarification from the Scottish FA over their position and that they had noted Rangers' stance over tickets. However, they said they would not respond directly to Green's claims.

A statement on the club 's official website said:

"It is with huge disappointment that we read both the content and tone of the statement from Rangers, stating that they will not be taking any tickets for our Scottish Cup tie in February and urging their supporters not to attend.

"However, we do not intend to enter into a war of words with Rangers or to dignify their position by responding in kind.

"We have noted their decision not to take any tickets for this cup tie and will now act accordingly in arranging the match. The statement from the Rangers makes it clear that their fans should not attend. We have therefore raised a number of related matters with the Scottish FA and will be making no further public statement until their advice has been received."

More to follow...

Related articles

Rangers, Dundee Utd and Scottish Cup tickets: Your questions answered

running away to the SFA for help and calling us 'the Rangers' in their non response. i expect the rules to be bent in their favour here.

I thought they apologised for doing that when they publicised the draw on their website. Clearly that apology was hollow.

running away to the SFA for help and calling us 'the Rangers' in their non response. i expect the rules to be bent in their favour here.

If they try, I expect Big Chuck will have something to say about it. Hopefully, and not least, instructing m'learned friends to take action. Well past due, IMO

Whilst the SFA shouldn't change their rules and we should get the 40% or whatever it is, ultimately it doesn't matter. The fact the fans have asked for and the club have supported a boycott is more important than a few grand. We can afford to miss out on the pay day far more than they can.

Dundee hibs can kiss my button.

You'd have to assist by providing a ladder, I suppose.

BTW, Rangers do not bar their support from attending the game. They simply refuse the right to sell tickets for the game via Rangers (outlets). Nothing stops Rangers supporters to buy tickets from Dundee United directly or on the game of day. Nothing needs to be changed.