Tom O'Neill Leaves Falkirk (Rangers Related)

That was a "belter" indeed, even though McDowell was "signed" straight from them too. What does it matter whether this chap is a Catholic (as I take kuznetzov's remark)?

You're the first to mention the word Catholic in this thread, I took the comments to mean their love of the dark side.

At least 95% of the "Tims" I know personally are Protestant.

That was a "belter" indeed, even though McDowell was "signed" straight from them too. What does it matter whether this chap is a Catholic (as I take kuznetzov's remark)?

what a stupid stupid assumption to make. ridiculous in fact.

How can you work for 2 Clubs at the same time?

Following on from "How come 10 players you released are now being selected for Scotland youth squads ?"

And

"Why did you release 11 players you bought without them reaching the youth team ?"

This is another "please explain" question for Sinky

How many youth players released by RFC then subsequently picked up by Falkirk have been sold on for significant fees, is Murray Wallace the only one?

That was long before Tom O'Neill was at Rangers. Murray Wallace is the only one Falkirk have sold on but there are a few in their youth teams that were at Rangers, 17yo Connor McGrandles has scored for Falkirk 1st team a couple times in recent weeks.

Edited by elfideldo

You're the first to mention the word Catholic in this thread, I took the comments to mean their love of the dark side.

At least 95% of the "Tims" I know personally are Protestant.

Now here's a surprise. Scots (I assume) work with a word coined in Scotland but using it differently than the apparent meaning?

Tim A Tim is a West Central Scottish nickname for a Roman Catholic. Are you a Billy or a Tim. (Scots Dictionary)

Same goes for the Police Force of Northern Ireland (p. 3 top left, opens pdf file)

So I beg your pardon, but kuznetzov called the guy a Tim and if you or him use the word differently, fine. Calling me "stupid" for using it as it meant though is out of order. I do refer to them (if the context is given) as Tims too, but my denomination for anything to do with Celtic is either Hooped Horrors or Scum. Since Tim, as you see above, does not solely refer to them.

BTW, has anything been confirmed with regards to him joining us at all?

Edited by der Berliner

Now here's a surprise. Scots (I assume) work with a word coined in Scotland but using it differently than the apparent meaning?

Tim A Tim is a West Central Scottish nickname for a Roman Catholic. Are you a Billy or a Tim. (Scots Dictionary)

Same goes for the Police Force of Northern Ireland (p. 3 top left, opens pdf file)

So I beg your pardon, but kuznetzov called the guy a Tim and if you or him use the word differently, fine. Calling me "stupid" for using it as it meant though is out of order. I do refer to them (if the context is given) as Tims too, but my denomination for anything to do with Celtic is either Hooped Horrors or Scum. Since Tim, as you see above, does not solely refer to them.

BTW, has anything been confirmed with regards to him joining us at all?

I'm sure if kuznetzov had meant "Catholic" he would have used the word itself. your assumption that you know better than him what he meant is rather arrogant (and no that's not a racial or nationalistic stereotypical remark).

I'm sure if kuznetzov had meant "Catholic" he would have used the word itself. your assumption that you know better than him what he meant is rather arrogant (and no that's not a racial or nationalistic stereotypical remark).

Now it is getting strange. kuznetzov uses the word for "Roman Catholic", i.e. "Tim". I simply used the correct synonym for this West Central Scotland / Ulster word. Now you tell me I am arrogant for assuming that kuznetzov meant Catholic (i.e. the correct word) rather than Celtic employee/player/fan/you name it ? For YOU knew instantly what HE meant? Wow ...

C'mon guys, it's not unreasonable for someone to think the word 'Tim' means Catholic. I've known Scots who made that mistake, it's not uncommon. Language is fluid, it evolves, words change their meanings over time and geography. For most people in Central Scotland a Tim is a Celtic fan no matter their religion, but the etymology is from a Catholic street gang, so there is ambiguity.