Gers Back 14-14-14 Plan

2141a8494a322a673ed7cb5a1b10010b_S.jpg

RANGERS have today offered an alternative reconstruction plan for Scottish football and insist that any change must be delayed until the start of the 2014/15 season.

Chief Executive Charles Green says most fans do not want the 12-12-18 model which has been proposed and he is a backing a 14-14-14 set-up.

He said in a statement: "The recent widespread debate on the reconstruction of Scottish football has been welcome and I am glad that Ally McCoist and myself have contributed and helped stimulate discussion rather than watch everyone sleepwalk into a solution that very few, if any, football fans across Scotland want.

*â??I am fully aware that the interests of fans and the duties of directors of football clubs, who have to balance books, do not always align. However, it seems absurd that, when most fans are so implacably opposed to the 12-12-18 model, their views are being cast aside.*

"To be absolutely clear, it would have been easy for me, on behalf of Rangers, to support this model. There is no model on the table that offers our club a potentially quicker route back to the highest echelons of Scottish football.*

â??However, I believe that while all clubs have to look out for their own interests, the greater good of Scottish football cannot be ignored. *

*"I would like to set out what Rangers believes to be a workable way forward that may appeal to fans of all clubs.

*"First, we think any reconstruction should be implemented not next season but the following season so that every club knows what it is playing for at the start of the season.

*"Secondly, we believe that further consideration should be given to a 14-14-14 model, which can be constructed in a way that ensures there is no loss of games but will deliver greater competition through the leagues, particularly with the implementation of play-offs.*

â??I cannot understand why this model has been so readily discounted when fans are clearly looking for larger leagues. I know there are various opinions regarding splits in such leagues but they cannot be any more complicated than what is now being proposed.

"Finally, I am fully aware of the unique challenges a club the size of Rangers face in Scotland. That is why we must explore all options for the long-term, including playing out-with Scotland.*

â??Of course, that is not something anyone is expecting could happen tomorrow but, over time, things are likely to change in football and we must be ready for such potential outcomes.

*"In the meantime, we hope that the powers that be in Scottish football pay heed to the views of supporters who are telling them loud and clear to think again."

CLUBNEWS.jpg

Read more on the official site...

I'm not sure this is much better than 12 12 18 to be honest.

I don't think it will include splits and breakaways and meaningless games so therefore, it is already a much better proposal.

Edit: it may include splits but I'm still sure it won't be a complicated scenario.

Edited by JTP

The main topic of any plan should be that it a) distributes the money fairly from top to bottom (and thus enables to Scottish game as a whole to get some much needed revitalisation) and b) it does not create some unnecessary and convoluted splits and mini-leagues and whatnot. You will have, no matter what, a number of teams playing "meaningless" games. That has and will always be the case, as some will be rooted firmly in mid-table and have no chance of going up or down (just look at the EPL). Yet, many of these teams will still compete in the odd cup and thus fans will have something to look forward too.

Yet, these orga people should not make any silly assumptions here. Berwick against Annan will always still remain just Berwick against Annan and will draw only (e.g.) 450 to 600 people no matter what. The people and the fanbase won't increase (e.g.) tenfold just because they play in some neat mini-play-off league. Or any other plan for that matter. Thus, the power of the SPL on any sort of tv deal money needs to be broken and the money split equally (or at least reasonably) amongst all member clubs. That sort of change, IMHO, will get the most votes from the SFL clubs.

The strange thing was allowing expansion to 42 in the first place from the 37 in '75. The lower divisions could save running costs and that of the fans if they split into two regional leagues.

The bit that always got me is that I could understand the top two divisions being of 10 teams each in order to lower the differential of standard and make them more competitive, but why do that with the bottom two divisions that are more much of a muchness and so could benefit from more diversity from playing 19 teams twice instead of 9 teams four times?

I don't think it will include splits and breakaways and meaningless games so therefore, it is already a much better proposal.

Edit: it may include splits but I'm still sure it won't be a complicated scenario.

it does include splits but I've considered it more and I agree its better.

not least because it means actual proper guaranteed promotion each year and It means season ticket holders know what they are buying.