Dundee United - Stick or Twist?

I think the biggest worry is the defence but opting for a back 5 means we could add to the pressure on them by struggling in midfield.

MacLeod will be our biggest loss as Black struggles to cover the same ground as him. We'll certainly need a lot from Templeton and Little in the wide areas.

I think the biggest worry is the defence but opting for a back 5 means we could add to the pressure on them by struggling in midfield.

MacLeod will be our biggest loss as Black struggles to cover the same ground as him. We'll certainly need a lot from Templeton and Little in the wide areas.

With a back 5 I think we could turn push our fullbacks higher.

One game that sticks out is the Valencia game where we pushed the fullbacks up and did well.

I doubt very much if Dundee Utd have had a team play 5 at the back against them at Tannadice all season, so I don't think we should need to set up like that.

I know that these probably go out the window for this cup tie, but I thought I'd take a look at their stats....

They've only won 2 home games this season and those wins were back in August. Having said that, they've only been beaten 3 times at Tannadice with their other games all ending in draws.

They can obviously be shaky defensively because they've conceded 21 goals at home which is second worst in the SPL for that particular stat, with only St.Mirren conceding more goals at home.

They do score quite a lot of goals at home as well though. They've scored as many goals at home (22) as Celtic and only ICT have scored more, so they're definitely a serious goal threat.

I don't think we should play 5 defenders because we're going to need to try to boss the midfield. Our fullbacks are going to need to push forward and provide support to our wings and midfielders anyway, even if we play 4 at the back.

We absolutely MUST be quicker and sharper than them. We have to close them down immediately when they're on the ball and try to dominate the game by constantly winning back possession when we lose it because that's a key factor in limiting their chances in our half.

I think they'll play both Daly and Russell up top with what's essentially just a 4-4-2, so I think formation wise, the question should be whether we match up to them with the same formation or maybe go with a 4-5-1 in a bid to win the battle in midfield. It's a tough choice.

I know Ally won't do this, but if it was me picking the team I'd send out this starting XI:

:na:

:ch::rp::ec::lw:

:kh:

:bm::rc::kn::dt:

:al: