Longmuir On Reconstruction

SFL Chief Executive David Longmuir has insisted that he has not agreed anything with the SPL or SFA regarding league reconstruction as his member clubs prepare to discuss the issues tomorrow.

He also agrees that it is wrong to sanction changes halfway through a season and understands fans’ feelings over the prospect of Rangers winning SFL 3 and not gaining a promotion.

However, Longmuir insists that the SFL have to seize the moment and take part in the process to try to drive a better structure and fairer system for the good of football.

Speaking exclusively to RangersTV, the League boss says it is crucial that one league body is formed, fairer governance is introduced as well as an improved financial distribution.

He said: “There is no done deal with the SPL and one of the things that Rangers fans will be interested to know is that I have never agreed to anything with the SPL or the SFA regarding league reconstruction.

“What I have agreed to do is take the proposal and look at it on its merits and present it to the clubs.

“As has been the track record, sense will come to the fore and I think we will get that tomorrow.

“I think we’re pleased that there seems to be some new found unanimity among the SPL clubs and it’s because of that opportunity we feel we have a number of things we can bring to improve the game.

“If you go back to my original proposal I was a key proponent of a larger top league but I do understand that this would mean fewer games and take finance out of the game.

“So what’s the best thing we can achieve at this moment including the big items such as one league body?

“When I came to the SFL five years ago I spoke to the SPL about one body because I felt we could market Scottish football more effectively but it was not seen as possible.

“Now we have an opportunity to do that. We also have an opportunity to have more equitable governance where every club has a say. We have an opportunity to have the current wealth spread a bit more fairly down the leagues.

“And we also have an opportunity to put in a pyramid structure.

“So do we sacrifice that opportunity on the basis that we don’t like two 12s and three eights?

“We are going to look at this at tomorrow’s meeting – two 12s and an 18 as it is currently.

“We might have something that might enhance and improve that because when you try to bring about change you have to bring the fans with you.

“At the moment I don’t think we have done that. The train is slowly leaving the platform but there are not enough people on the train.

“While I am in favour of larger leagues I think 18 is stretching it and perhaps there is a way we could accommodate two 10s and that would mean introducing two new clubs.

“That’s something we will look at and who knows who these two clubs will be?

“It would give us a format that has worked for years with play-offs, winning promotion and winning championships.

“I’m focusing on the big things and we have to take advantage of this new-found unanimity within SPL clubs.

“I’m hopeful that if we can capitalise on that then we can produce something for the good of the game.

“The SFL clubs will have their say tomorrow and I’m sure they will come back with a practical solution.

“I also fundamentally agree with fans who say that change should not be arranged halfway through a season.

“But if we leave it we could lose that unanimity that we have suddenly found again in Scottish football.

“So if the time is now then we have to play our part. I will try to steer our clubs to a sensible solution that’s good for the game. Perhaps there is a way of phasing this in and we will discuss that too.

“I can understand Rangers fans being unhappy with the prospect that Rangers could win SFL 3 and not be promoted.

“I am surrounded by Rangers fans at home so I know their feelings. I know where they are coming from but if we can put something sensible together then hopefully that issue will not arise.”

Under the proposals, who gets the 4th play off spot in the SFL 2 play offs? I'd assume there'll be no relegation from SFL1, but SFL2 still needs a play-off to decide who goes up. You'd think the logical solution would be to give that to the SFL3 champions.

“I am surrounded by Rangers fans at home" who said this? longmuir? haha class! dheclan and family will be spewing their bile after this.

let's hope they've been giving him a hard time after the way he's been cosying up with the SFA/SPL in recent weeks

has he though? he seems to be denying that here rab is he not?

can't help wondering if he's playing devil's advocate in the SPL proposals (12-12-18) as he knows they won't be accepted. That would perhaps clear the way for him to assume control of the new governing body once Dumb & dumber are removed from office

“So what’s the best thing we can achieve at this moment including the big items such as one league body?

“When I came to the SFL five years ago I spoke to the SPL about one body because I felt we could market Scottish football more effectively but it was not seen as possible.

“Now we have an opportunity to do that. We also have an opportunity to have more equitable governance where every club has a say. We have an opportunity to have the current wealth spread a bit more fairly down the leagues.

“So do we sacrifice that opportunity on the basis that we don’t like two 12s and three eights?

Seems to me that although it's not their first choice, we are going to be stuck with 12 12 + + , in order for them to gain one body. Not this year though, probably starting in 2013/2014. This means that we will probably lose our ability to control our TV/media contracts as well.

Seems to me that although it's not their first choice, we are going to be stuck with 12 12 + + , in order for them to gain one body. Not this year though, probably starting in 2013/2014. This means that we will probably lose our ability to control our TV/media contracts as well.

Will TV companies such as SKY want to put their money into this set up ? not sure they will. Could be back to the drawing board methinks. They're only interested in 4 OF games per season