Gareth Bale is a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo, says Jeff Stelling

If I was Spurs chairman Daniel Levy I'd be a worried man now because Gareth Bale is playing too well, for both club and country.

We already know that Bale is held in high regard by some of Europe's biggest clubs and recent stellar displays have put him firmly back in the shop window.

His goal in Wales' 2-1 friendly victory over Austria was his 17th in all competitions this season and came swiftly after those two superb strikes in the Premier League, against Norwich and West Brom.

I just worry, from Spurs' point of view, that an offer might come along in the summer that they can't refuse.

I heard Jamie Redknapp say on Super Sunday that Bale is 'absolutely world class', that he's 'as good as Ronaldo'.

What Bale's got that Ronaldo hasn't is incredible strength and power. Ronaldo is quick but when Bale gets up a head of steam, there's no stopping him.

That's not to denigrate Ronaldo, who has got all the tricks and dynamite in his boots - but so has Bale.

What Bale's got that Ronaldo hasn't is incredible strength and power; Ronaldo is quick but when Bale gets up a head of steam, there's no stopping him.

I'd love to know who the fastest player in the Premier League is if it's not Bale. He's adaptable, too - he can play wide or down the middle. If you want him to do a job defensively, he can do that as well.

Wales fans won't thank me for saying it but it's such a shame that we are unlikely to ever see him play in a major tournament.

It's the 'George Best syndrome' all over again: Bale is one of the best players in the world and as much as I'd love to see him at a World Cup, despite his best efforts, it's not going to happen.

I was in Portugal this week and I saw Ronaldo score against Ecuador and it was a fine goal, but I'm hard pushed to think of another player in Europe (aside from Lionel Messi) who gives you the all-round quality that Bale gives Spurs.

He's the reason why Spurs are where they are now - fourth in the Premier League - and he's the one who could drive them on to a Champions League place, which is the minimum Spurs will need to keep him.

Anyone else think this a ludicrous comparison?

A magnificent player is Bale but nowhere near the level of Ronaldo and Messi yet!

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12088_8477969,00.html

His form right now is as good as any in Europe but he is getting way ahead of himself, Ronaldo has done it week in week out for about 8 years for Man Utd and Real Madrid. Ronaldo hit about 30 goals in his last season for Man Utd. Bale is on the right track but has to do it for longer than 20 games.

Id say he is a more direct player than Ronaldo.

His form right now is as good as any in Europe but he is getting way ahead of himself, Ronaldo has done it week in week out for about 8 years for Man Utd and Real Madrid. Ronaldo hit about 30 goals in his last season for Man Utd. Bale is on the right track but has to do it for longer than 20 games.

Id say he is a more direct player than Ronaldo.

It's the premiership syndrome.

Joe Hart was the best keeper in the world at the start of the season ....................... What a howler that turned out to be, he's had a shocking season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ronaldo has been playing brilliantly for Real over a period of years. Bales did it for a couple of months last season and this season. Bale at his best is a great player but still has a bit to go to be classed along side Ronaldo.