Brian Stockbridge tomorrow

a rather larger loss than expected and it wont include the january purchases or the wallace money recently paid to hearts i expect.

I think it will include the Wallace balance, and the January purchases would have virtually no impact on profit anyway.

so what do these accounts tell us about who paid for the club?

not bothered about that....but it would be useful if some knowledgeable Accountant type could give an overview (in plain english) as to the status of the club - is it good/bad/indifferent etc

FFers take

Have just glanced over the accounts, and it's no real surprise.

Main points:

- Revenue of £9.5m, as £8m is still to be deferred over the remainder of the year (you can't recognise it all in one go.

- Operating costs of £16.5m - this seems more than valid, given the cost of running the club and our likely wage bill.

- Ergo, loss of £7m. I am slightly disappointed in the retail, commercial and sponsorship income, but I guess no-one really knew if we'd have much to recognise right now.

- Profit for the period of £9.5m - fuelled mainly by the release of negative goodwill of over £20m i.e. they bought the club for £6.75 (£5.5m purchase price + £1.25m preacquisition costs) but at revaluation the club is worth £27m. Add this difference to the the clubs previous debts and acquisition costs, and that's the difference in operating profit and profit for the period.

Nothing too shocking and is totally on a par with expectations to be honest. However, it's also good to get some clarity around the whole "I've spent this", "Charles Green paid off that" debate.....as it's all in the accounts i.e. the paying off the old debt, and the TOTAL acquisition of the old company have all been paid for by the club. Just in case any mentalists thought the consortium would have spent anything.

On a sidenote, German teletext reported that an Arabian group is willing to buy Arsenal for Euro 1,3bn, and are willing to pay 20k per share. Maybe Green should be quick in regaining our shares from the Gunners' chief.

Edited by der Berliner