McCoist wants to sign Jon Daly and Nicky Law

CD ... Hegarty will grow in stature and we hardly have seen Faure in there either. To me it isn't so much a lack of quality, but a distinct lack of discipline and organization at set-pieces. That said, we should all keep in mind that far better Rangers defences have shed shoddy goals and it is not the case that we are leaking them by the score, disappointing as they may be.

BTW, methinks Ryan McGowan is actually a right-back, is he not?

I'm not sure which Daly thread is the main one, so I'll post it in here.

I'd welcome the signing of Daly mainly for a reason I haven't seen mooted yet. Yes he's experienced, yes he's versatile, yes he knows the Scottish game and the physicality of it will be no problem for him. More importantly for me though is he's Dundee Utd's captain, he's a leader, an organiser, a motivator on the park. We've badly lacked one of them this season, when McCulloch is out no one has stepped up to take that mantle. As we all know at times we've looked shambolic at set-pieces, having a player who is good at them and experienced enough to organise those around him could make Daly a very shrewd piece of business. I like Wallace as a player but I'm not sure he's captain material yet.

Of course close to six months of Dundee Hibs and Celtic fans making his life a misery might make him think it just isn't worth the hassle.

I can understand why the Daly contact has gotten out into the public domain because as gunslinger said on the other thread, Utd leak info to Jum Spence continually.

What I don't understand is why our interest in Nicky Law is being reported if we haven't even approached the player or club about him.

CD ... Hegarty will grow in stature and we hardly have seen Faure in there either. To me it isn't so much a lack of quality, but a distinct lack of discipline and organization at set-pieces.

I'm probably in a minority saying this, but I'm actually quite comfortable with the individual abilities of our bunch of defenders. The problem for me is that Ally hasn't settled on a first-pick back four yet and that's partially due to injuries, but also because he's wanted to give them all a chance and to see what they can each offer, so he's been rotating them.

What I'd really like to see though (and what I think is ultimately needed) is a settled back four who are all amongst the first ones going into the starting XI section of the team sheet every week. Do that and give those four defenders a solid run of games and I think they'll come good for us. Also, when one of them gets a little injury or niggle that keeps him out for a game or two, he should get his place straight back when he's fully fit even if his temporary replacement has done well when called upon. If Ally wants a disciplined back four then he needs to be disciplined in the way he treats them and their places/selection in the team.

I'd welcome the signing of Daly mainly for a reason I haven't seen mooted yet. Yes he's experienced, yes he's versatile, yes he knows the Scottish game and the physicality of it will be no problem for him. More importantly for me though is he's Dundee Utd's captain, he's a leader, an organiser, a motivator on the park. We've badly lacked one of them this season, when McCulloch is out no one has stepped up to take that mantle. As we all know at times we've looked shambolic at set-pieces, having a player who is good at them and experienced enough to organise those around him could make Daly a very shrewd piece of business. I like Wallace as a player but I'm not sure he's captain material yet.

You're probably spot on with most, if not all of those points amms and I agree, but I still have an issue with us targeting players who are 30+ because I see such players as purely short term squad additions. Daly is primarily a striker and he's already turned 30, so can only possibly be a short term addition.

I think we also need to face up to the fact that not all of the youngsters whom we've seen this season will be able to make the step up we require. McLeod & McKay might be able to but the others I'm not so sure about. I think that's maybe why Ally is looking at tried & tested players

You're probably spot on with most, if not all of those points amms and I agree, but I still have an issue with us targeting players who are 30+ because I see such players as purely short term squad additions. Daly is primarily a striker and he's already turned 30, so can only possibly be a short term addition.

Yeah, we said that about Davie Wier once of course. At 30 you'd expect to still get 3 seasons out of him at this level, his game isn't based on pace so he should be able to maintain his style of play. That he's a free also negates the need for a future sell on value. I understand why people are reticent, but as long as the squad has balance I've no problem with some of them being 30+ aged players. Kyle and Alexander will likely leave at the end of the season and McCulloch won't go on for ever, we do need some experience in the dressing room.

Yeah, we said that about Davie Wier once of course. At 30 you'd expect to still get 3 seasons out of him at this level, his game isn't based on pace so he should be able to maintain his style of play. That he's a free also negates the need for a future sell on value. I understand why people are reticent, but as long as the squad has balance I've no problem with some of them being 30+ aged players. Kyle and Alexander will likely leave at the end of the season and McCulloch won't go on for ever, we do need some experience in the dressing room.

I agree with most of that amms, but for me the point of a free signing is when you move them on you cover the cost of their wage you have paid them.

Law I think deserves his chance, Daly is a no for me. Hemmings and Little along with Jig when he's fit can get us back into the top flight, just don't see the point of bringing in a 30+ forward when he's going to be of no use to us when we get back to the top flight.